Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE!

4 posters

Go down

Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE! Empty Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE!

Post  Guest Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 am

Well I'm a couple days late on the update, but I'm sure it's going to happen in the future so... get used to it. haha, just kidding. Anyways there are a couple updates to share including some interesting polls coming up in the future. Hope you enjoy the update!

Storyline
There's been some big updates in this department and the storyline and plot have been pretty much fleshed out in its entirety. The only few things that need worked out now are items such as character backgrounds and things of that nature. For those who want to know the storyline... too bad! I chose not to post it here for two reasons: For one posting it here would mean posting pages of dialogue and story and two I don't want to spoil the game's plot by giving away all the secrets. There is a way you can get a glimpse at the story though and that's by contributing. When you contribute to the project you will get the choice of joining the game project's wiki site and being able to access the development pages.

Concept Art
Most of the time spent on the project lately has been towards getting the storyline/plot together so not much has been happening on this front. I do have a couple pictures to share although they are not the best quality pictures since they are taken with an iPhone and I haven't touched them up much.

Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE! Tiki-download_file Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE! Tiki-download_file

The first one is an early concept of the armor for our main character. This concept is still a work in progress. The second image is also an early concept of one of the blasters our hero will be using. I say these are early concepts because they still have some tweaks that need finished and color to be added before it's ready for modeling.

These are the first few works to be released by the project and while I can't promise that I'll have new content every update I do hope to be able to share some things as long as they don't give away the story.

Wish list
Big thanks goes out this update to Arashi for chipping in and helping out on the OUF NPC structure. He, as well as those who are helping out, will be getting their deserved place among the credits. Not much on this update's wish list. The project is at a point now where only artists are really needed.

• Artists! - Can you draw? Do you suck at it? Me TOO!! (check above) Anybody at any skill level is needed for ideas and artwork. Have an idea for a cool blaster? Draw it! Send it to the project and get involved.

Back to top Go down

Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE! Empty Re: Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE!

Post  Carlen Darko Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Here is a quick mock-up for you:

Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE! Blaster
Image Link

Last edited by Carlen Darko on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE! Empty Re: Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE!

Post  Jacan Na'al Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Did you just draw that? O_o
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:57 pm

Jacan Na'al wrote:Did you just draw that? O_o

Yerp. Art and writing are my hobbies. I'm working on a larger scale for Garr right now.

Edit: Correction, I did just draw it. I drew it a while back for someone else who didn't end up needing it. Now I'm working on it for Garr.
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:10 pm

Image two of the above blaster design with added attachments:
(I'd do more, but it's 5:09 in the morning here...I need sleep.)

Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE! BlasterII
Image Link
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:15 pm

I think you have found your head concept designer Garr.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:55 pm

No kidding! Nice job Carlen!
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Eh, it's not that great guys. Just a doodle.
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Carlen Darko wrote:Eh, it's not that great guys. Just a doodle.

Hah, compared to my work you're a master! I could certainly use your skills if you're willing to lend a hand. Do you do characters as well?

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:11 am

Garr Talon wrote:
Carlen Darko wrote:Eh, it's not that great guys. Just a doodle.

Hah, compared to my work you're a master! I could certainly use your skills if you're willing to lend a hand. Do you do characters as well?

I could try my hand at it. I'm off for the next month (college starts back up) so if you need anything before then, I can spend a lot of time on it. After school is back in session, I can still help, but at a slower pace.
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 am

Just a doodle huh? My master piece is a stick figure! I truly wish I had your talent because I think I would really enjoy an artistic type job. Like doing concept art for games or something of that nature.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Arashi wrote:Just a doodle huh? My master piece is a stick figure! I truly wish I had your talent because I think I would really enjoy an artistic type job. Like doing concept art for games or something of that nature.

Heh, yeah...a doodle. It's just one of my hobbies. I doubt I'd ever be good enough for a job somewhere.
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:38 am

Only just saw this right here, haven't realized this has been moving forwards, I'll try and help in anyways I can Garr! =)

(goes to fetch the sketch pad)

Last edited by Kevlar on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 pm

Project Update 3: The Plot - HARCORE! EK-14CombatKnife
The EK-14 Combat Knife is OUF's latest advancement into melee combat weapons.

The highly sophisticated knife is essentially a hybrid between a standard combat knife and a high energy plasma torch.

Developed by Jedi knowledge and technical expertise, the plasma torch is more of an energy blade using light-saber technology then a traditional industrial plasma torch.
However, the plasma generated by the focusing lens and crystal within the Echani combat hilt is not bound by a traditional field generated by emitters withing light-saber, instead it is let loose to surge its way up a empty interior between the blade back and blade edge, to emerge out onto the stabbing tip as a white hot plasma torch.
Allowing the Wielder of the knife to stab through the toughest of powered armor and the thickest of plating.

The EK-14 is highly distinctive in appearance as it is essentially twin Phrik-alloy blades forged at star temperatures with an energy filled hollow middle.
The 'top' blade, or known as the back. Is used as a stabbing edge, its construction is sturdy and its tip leads the knife as well as being the ejector point for the plasma running up its inside.
The 'bottom' blade is finer in comparison, honed to a single atom edge along its side, it is primarily used for slashing strikes. The bottom blade also has a utility notch just above the hilt.

The EK-14 is most noted for its uniqueness when striking another object, because of its unique construction, the twin blades often act like a tuning fork when struck at the right frequency.
Sounding a very unique tone, distinctive to all personnel familiar with it.

Because of its unique fork like appearance when deactivated, the EK-14 is sometimes referred to in OUF insider jokes.

The most common of which amongst the troopers being.
"This one is done, stick a fork in it."

Last edited by Kevlar on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:24 pm

That took a large part of my afternoon, I hope you guys like it =)

Maybe there are more to come, I'll probably move from there to sidearms, flechette gun, carbines, blaster rifles, heavy repeaters and probably a concussion rifle or something like that.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:35 pm

Good stuff Kev! I hope to be able to include everyone's pieces into the game.

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:06 am

I've got drawer's block right now....arg.
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:53 am

Carlen Darko wrote:I've got drawer's block right now....arg.

I'd really like to get one of those digital stylus and sketch tablets. I find it next to impossible to draw in smooth strokes with a mouse.

To bad a decent one costs atleast 300~500 $NZD
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:16 am

Hey guys, you've both been doing excellent work! Just wanted to remind you though that in order for these concept images to be useful then they need both a plain front and side view and any other views that are needed to get the detail of the object across. I will be importing these images into Blender as image planes and will be modeling them straight from the images. While the 3rd dimensional isometric view does look much cooler than the plain front and side images, it is very hard to model them when they are anything other than flat objects from specific view points (top, bottom, side, front, back, etc.). Don't worry about redo'ing the images that both of you have done already (unless you especially want to) just from now on it would be really useful. Keep up the good work! I can't wait to share the screens of the models when they are finished.

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:41 am

Kevlar wrote:
Carlen Darko wrote:I've got drawer's block right now....arg.

I'd really like to get one of those digital stylus and sketch tablets. I find it next to impossible to draw in smooth strokes with a mouse.

To bad a decent one costs atleast 300~500 $NZD

Hehe...me is own one. Bwah ha ha ha!!
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down