Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project Update 4: Tutorials

2 posters

Go down

Project Update 4: Tutorials Empty Project Update 4: Tutorials

Post  Guest Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:47 am

A small update for you this time around. Not too much has gone down that I can share with everyone. Carlen and Kevlar have both answered the call and have risen to the artistic challenge. I can't thank them enough for their and others contributions of the past, present, and (hopefully) the future.

I know these project updates seem a little dry and full of tech jargon and what not. I'm hoping to get some actual story elements out there so you all can partake a little bit and understand just what exactly this game is and where it is heading. Be on the look out for those updates coming soon.

Modeling
With the artistic front being headed by some of the new additions to the "team" I have been dabbling in the future areas of work. I have begun experimenting with Blender 3D (http://www.blender.org/) and setting out on the long road ahead. Learning the ins and outs of the interface and tools is number one on my agenda. Without the aid of some literature, though, I fear the learning process might be even harder than necessary. I've ransacked my local bookstores and, alas, have come up empty handed as far as good modeling textbooks for Blender. My search continues on the interweb and expect to be putting together quite the collection of online tutorials.

Concept Art
I'm currently compiling a master list of resources that the game will require. This effort requires that I catalog almost every object that needs modeled from blasters to coffee mugs. This list will most likely stick with the project the entirety of its development.

Storyline
Fine tuning the storyline and visualizing scenes is an ongoing task that has me looking at everything from building architecture to droid specifications to character backgrounds. This process will most likely be ongoing through a great portion of the modeling cycle.

"As a general notice you should be made aware that all project contributions and/or materials should be handled in private either through PM with myself or a known contributor on these forums or through the project wiki site. Please do not post contributions (including artwork, models, sounds, etc.) in the forum. Thanks! -Garr"

Back to top Go down

Project Update 4: Tutorials Empty Re: Project Update 4: Tutorials

Post  Kevlar Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm finding it next to impossible to draw blueprint like pictures of the firearms with a mouse. though I've a series from sidearms, carbine, assault rifle and concussion rifle concepts all drawn up on paper.

Maybe I should just scan them? or maybe I'll rough out the sketches on photoshop and hand them to Carlen for him to work his sketchtablet magic?

I've concluded its impossible to draw a smooth curve with a mouse, while its pretty easy to do so with a pen by a flick of ones wrist.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:21 pm

I've been using the old sketch method and scanning them. Then I take them into Photoshop or Corel Draw and trace over it to make sure my lines are straight and to give me something clean to work with in Blender.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Garr Talon wrote:I've been using the old sketch method and scanning them. Then I take them into Photoshop or Corel Draw and trace over it to make sure my lines are straight and to give me something clean to work with in Blender.

Guess I should get around to hooking up the scanner then =P Drawing by Mouse is Impossible, I'm convinced.

In order to convince me otherwise, someone has to msn white board me and draw something real time while I watch them drawing with a mouse via webcam for me to believe its possible.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:43 pm

This is what I hope OUF game will end up resembling, though I guess that's completely up to Garr =P Go Garr!

Alien Swarm, one of my favorite coop-games of all times.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:31 am

Kevlar wrote:
Alien Swarm, one of my favorite coop-games of all times.

Take the angle of Alien Swarm, a pinch of Shadow Complex, add Star Wars to the bowl, stir briskly, and I think we have a award-winning cake...game, I mean game.

(Realization: there is a lot of cake references in our guild)
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:24 pm

Garr Talon wrote:
Modeling
With the artistic front being headed by some of the new additions to the "team" I have been dabbling in the future areas of work. I have begun experimenting with Blender 3D (http://www.blender.org/) and setting out on the long road ahead. Learning the ins and outs of the interface and tools is number one on my agenda. Without the aid of some literature, though, I fear the learning process might be even harder than necessary. I've ransacked my local bookstores and, alas, have come up empty handed as far as good modeling textbooks for Blender. My search continues on the interweb and expect to be putting together quite the collection of online tutorials.

I find this book/cd works wonders (sells on Amazon for $29.95, I think):

Project Update 4: Tutorials 513eDySZZcL._SS500_
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down