Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The music-thread

+22
Beadle
Delyn
Kevlar
Cullis
Jasterk Staren
Leprano
Cuyir
Tyren Vaal
Carlen Darko
Skeevenmac
Master Nuuk
Valeris
Reicho Seitoshi
Gerard Halcyon
Bahn Durm
Arashi Storm
Thalos
Quinlan Sa'athis
Toranilor
Satarel Vao
Jeme'Maer
Gatho
26 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The music-thread Empty The music-thread

Post  Gatho Sat May 30, 2009 3:32 am

I thought we should have our own music-thread just for fun. I've put an 'active question', so we get some structure in the thread, but of course you can talk about music overall.
Anyone can change the question when they feel for it. Example of questions are like "what song/band is your favourite?" or "what do you think about techno?".

Just respect everyone's opinions as we all got different tastes (not that I think you won't).

So I'll start. What song make you the happiest?

For me it's the both hilarious and lovely song Caramelldansen that just makes you wanna join up and dance (you might have seen that video before hehe).

The dance is supposed to be created by japanese students, lol (+1 to those who do the dance of you).

Oh and btw here is the English version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A67ZkAd1wmI
Gatho
Gatho

Back to top Go down

The music-thread Empty Re: The music-thread

Post  Jeme'Maer Sat May 30, 2009 3:50 am

The song that makes me the happiest is from an upcoming video game plants vs zombies
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Satarel Vao Sat May 30, 2009 4:00 am

A song that makes me feel pretty good and rock out/dance around I guess would be On Mercury by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which also happen to be my favorite band.. so I'm more or less happy when I hear anything by them. Wet Sand is another one of my favorites by them as well, but for different reasons.
Satarel Vao
Satarel Vao

Back to top Go down

Post  Toranilor Sat May 30, 2009 4:00 am

Jeme'Maer wrote:The song that makes me the happiest is from an upcoming video game plants vs zombies

Plants VS Zombies!! If you want, the escapist did a review of it. Looks good! Right HERE!

On Topic, a song that makes me happy is the nice, evil Final Bowser Theme from Super Mario 64.
Toranilor
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 30, 2009 4:18 am

Music to me has lost it's innocence. The listeners are more at fault for this as is the people in the music publishing business. Music, a long time ago, became more about everything but the actual music. The merchandising, the battles between styles of music, who can play better, what genre is better, what a genre represents. These things have driven me away from music. I use to listen to punk in high school because it was rebellious and I was rebellious. It wasn't about the quality of music, obvious, because most of it sounded like crap anyways. It was about a message. But that message, as I grew older and more aware, was ridiculous and meant absolutely nothing. Whoever thought to turn music into a way of expressing thoughts and feelings basically doomed music and turned it into what it is today. I need to wear t-shirts, buy posters, cds, look the look, talk the talk, live the lifestyle. It's all crap to me. I judge music now by what sounds good. Be it country, rock, pop, whatever. When I was in to punk I somehow convinced myself that it sounded good because that's what it is. I can hardly listen to any of the things I use to anymore because it all sounds like crap. Within each genre there is good music and bad music. I'm also the kind of person though that will hate a team because of it's company/fans. So I am biased when I analyze music to see if it sounds good. I hate rap because of the company it keeps, same with death metal, country, punk, etc. Any band that appears to be playing a certain style because "that's what it is" is not worth listening too.

I like listening to bands that when you hear their music you can tell if they are being innovative or showing style from another band that maybe they liked or if they are just playing to style to be in the style. I like the red hot chili peppers because their music is fresh, the band is talented, they made it and don't need to impress anyone so they play what they love and it sounds great. Metallica plays awesome music. They are very talented and you can tell they love their music and are innovators and leaders in their genre. Yes, both those bands probably played the style early in their career just to get to where they were and I'm sure not every song they put out was written in the spirit of just writing good music. Every band has their CD filler songs. Then there are those bands that even though they have made it they are still just playing a style for the fans and money that genre is capable of. Green day made it a while ago. They have talented players and are capable of innovative music. But they sold out. When a genre's music style changes and the band starts making new music that goes with that style change then you know they are in it just to be in it. Greenday's new music sounds nothing like their old music. Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers have changed slightly because of their skill. They are putting out more complicated tracks with new style. Greenday cut and pasted what the norm for punk is today and pasted over top of their old GOOD music style.

Genre's music style changes. Punk today does not sound like punk in the 80s. To me it sounds worse, haha. But it's funny how Greenday's style changed from the 90s to the new punk/goth theme.

Sorry for the rant, but it's something I've been thinking about lately as I try and find a good song on the radio. I think techno is cool for those who really enjoy it. If you're into techno because you're into the Japanese style movement (the whole anime thing) then you're into a trend, not a music genre. There are some good techno songs.

Songs that make me the happiest are up beat songs. I like catch 22 because of the instruments and the tempo is high. Then again I like big band songs as well as songs from the 40s and 50s. I like heavy metal too. Andrew WK is another great band. Island music is cool. I don't want to be one of those people that says I like all music, because I don't, but I could probably find a band in every genre that I could listen to and make me happy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis Sat May 30, 2009 4:39 am

Its a toss-up between -

• WHAM - Wake me up before you go go
  • The Bangles - Manic Monday

Can't really choose between these two
Quinlan Sa'athis
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Thalos Sat May 30, 2009 6:28 am

I vote for rock, Red Hot Chili peppers = Win
Thalos
Thalos

Back to top Go down

Post  Satarel Vao Sat May 30, 2009 6:44 am

Garr, that was one intense rant, but you do have a point. I'm not going to argue against it, because I for sure see why you have that reasoning. But I am saddened to see you used Metallica and RHCP only one word apart.. they're both on the opposite end of the spectrum of my listening taste. Then again, I was on that list of Napster users that Metallica wanted to sue. I was like 13 at the time, so I didn't like them much after that.. and it was for ONE SONG, Until It Sleeps. Not even one of their big hits. Whatever. Screw Lars and his ideology of being the self-proclaimed best drummer. Portnoy, Peart, whoever.. they will own him. Gah, now I'm upset thinking about Metallica haha.

Either way, that's my shorter than Garr rant.
Satarel Vao
Satarel Vao

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sat May 30, 2009 7:05 am

A song that makes me feel like "dancing" would be jump by Van Halen.

A song that makes me happy and I would like to have wake me up every morning (since I'm not a morning person) would be "its a great day to be alive" by Travis Tritt. Another awesome song that is uplifting is "I can only imagine" by Mercy Me.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Satarel Vao Sat May 30, 2009 7:19 am

Ha, great choices Arashi. 'Why Can't This Be Love' is my favorite Van Halen tune.. I don't even know how he can get those effects on a guitar. And thanks for bringing up Travis Tritt.. I'm going to youtube him up right now heh.
Satarel Vao
Satarel Vao

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sat May 30, 2009 7:30 am

A great song Satarel. I like lots of music. I have recently started to listen to Christian music and can't get away from it. I like to listen to music that is uplifting and has good meaning. The only type of music I completely stay away from is rap.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Sat May 30, 2009 9:14 am

Arashi wrote:A great song Satarel. I like lots of music. I have recently started to listen to Christian music and can't get away from it. I like to listen to music that is uplifting and has good meaning. The only type of music I completely stay away from is rap.

Dont we all try to stay away from it. The music Im actualy starting to get into is a sort of hard rock. Just something enough to get you pumped up, and not have you headbanging to the beat like I did at the Dethklok concert.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Toranilor Sat May 30, 2009 9:24 am

Arashi wrote: The only type of music I completely stay away from is rap.

Good music is like good lollies, you have to throw away the wrappers!
Toranilor
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sat May 30, 2009 2:51 pm

Lol, nice Toran.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Satarel Vao Sun May 31, 2009 2:36 am

Gah, guess I'm one of the few people who do listen to a bit of rap. I'm not talking like 50 cent, or anyone of those new guys.. but I have no problem tossing in Bone Thugs N Harmony, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg or Tupac. I don't listen to them all of ther time, but with Bone Thugs they can make some real solid harmonies and have some pretty insightful songs. Dr Dre is probably the best hip hop producer ever known, so anything he touches has a great background beat. I can toss in Chronic 2001 and listen to it front to back any day of the week. Snoop is just damn hilarious. And Tupac flows like no one elses business, and I will never dislike him.

But yeah, today's rap I can't handle. Club rap is what I tend to call it, because you would never hear Tupac played in a dance club, and that's because he's closer to reciting poetry than laying down something for people to dance to. And that is my defense of good rap heh.
Satarel Vao
Satarel Vao

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sun May 31, 2009 5:20 am

I'm not saying all rap is bad by no means. I have ofcourse listened to some rap over the years and have heard some talented artists.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Sun May 31, 2009 6:18 am

Satarel Vao wrote:Gah, guess I'm one of the few people who do listen to a bit of rap. I'm not talking like 50 cent, or anyone of those new guys.. but I have no problem tossing in Bone Thugs N Harmony, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg or Tupac. I don't listen to them all of ther time, but with Bone Thugs they can make some real solid harmonies and have some pretty insightful songs. Dr Dre is probably the best hip hop producer ever known, so anything he touches has a great background beat. I can toss in Chronic 2001 and listen to it front to back any day of the week. Snoop is just damn hilarious. And Tupac flows like no one elses business, and I will never dislike him.

But yeah, today's rap I can't handle. Club rap is what I tend to call it, because you would never hear Tupac played in a dance club, and that's because he's closer to reciting poetry than laying down something for people to dance to. And that is my defense of good rap heh.

So you like hip hop and the classics? I can go with that. Snoop Dog is very good at what he does whether its acting, hip hop or walking around in his pimp wardrobe.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Thalos Sun May 31, 2009 9:28 am

I enjoy rap songs, Its those deep down ghetto rap that really gets on my nerves. Other then that Rock/Rap is the best music art there is! Though some of that club rap isn't that bad. Though i have to admit...........ROCK FTW!
Thalos
Thalos

Back to top Go down

Post  Gatho Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:55 am

I think there is some good rap today, but I feel it's mostly just the same "all the babes like me"-songs. I also think as it's true what Garr says that there is good and bad music in all genres, that you should explore all sides and genres of music. You never know what you'll find.

Also Jeme I lol'd at plant vs zombies.
Gatho
Gatho

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:58 am

Gatho wrote:I think there is some good rap today, but I feel it's mostly just the same "all the babes like me"-songs. I also think as it's true what Garr says that there is good and bad music in all genres, that you should explore all sides and genres of music. You never know what you'll find.

Also Jeme I lol'd at plant vs zombies.

yep after watching plants vs zombies, I felt that my IQ had dropped by ten points.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bahn Durm Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:54 am

In terms of a song that makes me happy.
Stevie Wonder - "Sir Duke"
I used to play that song every morning when I woke up just to feel good about the day.
Don't ask what happened.

In terms of Rap.
Old school. Biggie Smalls, Tupac, etc. They're the good rap, at least in my opinion.
There's a song that's called "50 Cent is a Pussy". Definitely listen to it. It makes me happy on the occasion that I run into it.
Bahn Durm
Bahn Durm

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Halcyon Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:47 am

Ya know, you guys have pretty much said all there is to say about music... Too many people focus on making it a popularity contest when it's supposed to be about having fun!

As far as dancing- I don't dance but, I can't help myself when I hear Michael Jackson's "Thriller"!

And I'm a BIG metal-head... And a song that gets me happy would be "One Winged Angel" from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Hearing the Gregorian chant backed-up by the band with a friggin distorted guitar- JEEZ! My blood just gets pumpin, man!
Gerard Halcyon
Gerard Halcyon

Back to top Go down

Post  Reicho Seitoshi Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:49 am

I enjoy listening to multiple music genres except sadly metal...that is what my brother listens to.
Reicho Seitoshi
Reicho Seitoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Halcyon Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:54 am

I listen to EVERYTHING but, metal just feels right...

I mean, I freakin love some Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, Snoop, Biggie, RHCP, OLD Green Day (that new "punk" crap sucks... Damn emo kids..). Everything that ISN'T metal, has to have been made before 2002 for me to like it...
Gerard Halcyon
Gerard Halcyon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:12 am

The song "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" on Fallout 3 actually got me interested in 1940s music. It's weird, but it's a fun song to sing along to. Plus the girlfriend doesn't mind when I sing it to her on the balcony beneath the stars, haha. kidding..

To listen to it clicky here. Scroll down for it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next