Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Off-Topic: Old-school game thread]

+8
Ruka
Mictian
Tyren Vaal
Jasterk Staren
Toranilor
Gerard Halcyon
Udumbara
Kevlar
12 posters

Go down

[Off-Topic: Old-school game thread] Empty [Off-Topic: Old-school game thread]

Post  Kevlar Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:02 pm

This thread is for the old school gamers amongst us. For those of us who were fortunate enough to have experienced the awesomeness that was the gaming industry back in its creative days. Who enjoyed playing the original Command and Conquer, Red Alert, Hand of Fate, Bubble bubble, X-Com, System Shock 1/2, Doom, Hexen, Armor Alley, Cannon Fodder, Dune 1 and 2 and so much more.

Anyways, if you are not an oldschool gamer and/or have no appreciation for games without 133t gfx. Please just feel free to ignore this thread completely. =P

Now, onto the first topic -

Not sure how many of you are old school enough to have played the original Exile games series by Spiderweb Software, a small indy company.

But they've been making game periodically since exile 1 (1995).
Spoiler:
Recently I picked up their latest, Avernum 6, (Avernum is essentially Exile in isometric. With Avernum 1,2,3,Blades as direct clones of their Exile counter-parts)
Spoiler:
Am now playing it, be interesting to see if other people have played Exile and/or Avernum.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

[Off-Topic: Old-school game thread] Empty Re: [Off-Topic: Old-school game thread]

Post  Udumbara Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:15 pm

You know you're old when "old-school" games are ones you played in high school. Anyone ever play games on a Commador 64? I did ... I remember playing Ghostbusters. My first PC games were flight simulators ... Chuck Yeager's Ultimate Air Combat and A-10 Tank Killer. How about games like Police Quest or Monkey Island? Or Myst? Good times.
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

[Off-Topic: Old-school game thread] Empty Re: [Off-Topic: Old-school game thread]

Post  Kevlar Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Udumbara wrote:You know you're old when "old-school" games are ones you played in high school. Anyone ever play games on a Commador 64? I did ... I remember playing Ghostbusters. My first PC games were flight simulators ... Chuck Yeager's Ultimate Air Combat and A-10 Tank Killer. How about games like Police Quest or Monkey Island? Or Myst? Good times.

hehe, for me old school games was games I played in my early teens down to when I was like 8 and playing prince of persia 1 on the 486, great times.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Halcyon Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 pm

Old Skool for me is when I played "Nightmare On Elm Street" (with the 4-player multi-tap) on the NES with my mom, my brother and my dad. Am I included here?

Last edited by Gerard Halcyon on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to specify what system)
Gerard Halcyon
Gerard Halcyon

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Gerard Halcyon wrote:Old Skool for me is when I played "Nightmare On Elm Street" (with the 4-player multi-tap) on the NES with my mom, my brother and my dad. Am I included here?

Haha, old school is any game that relied upon ingenuity of gameplay and an awesome story. Without depending on graphics and effects to prop it up. Which is the majority of games now days.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Toranilor Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:56 am

Old School for me was the original Pokemon. Back in the day EVERYONE had a gameboy, and we all played them instead of doing whatever it is 7 year olds were supposed to do.

I'm not old enough to reminisce properly Sad
Toranilor
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasterk Staren Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:20 am

HAHA! A-10 Tank Killer, on the Amega! Those were the days.
Jasterk Staren
Jasterk Staren

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 am

I'm not old enough to have played any of these games...old school for my age though is everything on the N64 and a little bit on the PS1 and PC.
Tyren Vaal
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Mictian Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:08 am

You know what's -really- old school? Running to the arcade after school, haha c:
Mictian
Mictian

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruka Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:29 am

My 1st ever computer I owned was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, I had games like Outrun,Renegade,Ikari Warriors and Spy Hunter.. *sigh* memories!
Ruka
Ruka

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebel Marksman Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:08 am

Toranilor wrote:Old School for me was the original Pokemon. Back in the day EVERYONE had a gameboy, and we all played them instead of doing whatever it is 7 year olds were supposed to do.

I'm not old enough to reminisce properly Sad
I remember thoughs days, I can reminisce with you. [Off-Topic: Old-school game thread] 28173
Rebel Marksman
Rebel Marksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:01 am

The first game I bought myself was Jazz Jackrabbit, Rygal and I went halves on it.

It came on floppy disk!

Obviously had played games before that but that was the first one I bought myself.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:21 am

How about arcade games? Anyone have a favorite? My old school favorite would have to be one of the Nintendo ones ... either Excitebike or Super Mario Bros. . New generation I would have to go with the Time Cop series ... I kick ass at those.
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasterk Staren Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:52 am

frogger on atari- hooah
Jasterk Staren
Jasterk Staren

Back to top Go down

Post  Benson Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:53 pm

[Off-Topic: Old-school game thread] JetpackEditor
JETPACK!!!!

This was so awesome in the good oll days!!

And I played the ancient mario alot.... on the pc!
Benson
Benson

Back to top Go down

Post  Jalen Lojed Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:49 pm

My favorite old school was Master of Orion 1 and 2. #3 was a flop. This was a space based explore, expand and doninate the galaxy. Good micro managing. You had to manage your research, economy, ship fleet, and alien relations and trade. There was five ways to win, economy, reasearch etc. but the most fun I hate to admit was take over the galaxy. homaahahaha [Off-Topic: Old-school game thread] 210938

You have to try this game. It was the first game that kept me into the wee hours of the morning getting one more ship, one more planet, one more research area one more****
Jalen Lojed
Jalen Lojed

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Jalen Lojed wrote:My favorite old school was Master of Orion 1 and 2. #3 was a flop. This was a space based explore, expand and doninate the galaxy. Good micro managing. You had to manage your research, economy, ship fleet, and alien relations and trade. There was five ways to win, economy, reasearch etc. but the most fun I hate to admit was take over the galaxy. homaahahaha [Off-Topic: Old-school game thread] 210938

You have to try this game. It was the first game that kept me into the wee hours of the morning getting one more ship, one more planet, one more research area one more****

Sounds like a predecessor to Eve: Online!
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jalen Lojed Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:55 am

I tried Eve online. It's more epic and multiplayer where Master of Orion is more long term tactics. Master of Orion has a much more challenging AI. At times it even cheats. You have an option to PVP also but that was back in the days of modem.
If you really want to tax your brain with tactics and strategy this is the game for you. I haven't found anything close to the fun I had with this game. It would even rival KATOR in some aspects.
Jalen Lojed
Jalen Lojed

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:57 am

It's a free download these days ...

Master of Orion
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasterk Staren Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:08 am

Looks like old school sins of a solar empire.
Jasterk Staren
Jasterk Staren

Back to top Go down

Post  Jalen Lojed Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:20 am

Jasterk Staren wrote:Looks like old school sins of a solar empire.

Close but Orion is a grade above although older.
Jalen Lojed
Jalen Lojed

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Halcyon Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Wanna know what TRUE "Old Skool" is for me?

"ELF NEEDS FOOD - BADLY!"

"Valkyrie - Shot the FOOD!"

Is that old enough?
Gerard Halcyon
Gerard Halcyon

Back to top Go down

Post  Benson Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Master of Orion........ what a great game.... I really enjoyed it in the past days, and I think I will enjoy it tonight again... if i can put final fantasy XIII away for a sec... Wink

oh and btw, EVE is soooo different also awesome but a way different game.
ok.... it to is in space... Wink
Benson
Benson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down