Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game Project: Idea session.

+3
Gerard Halcyon
Jacan Na'al
Beadle
7 posters

Go down

Game Project: Idea session. Empty Game Project: Idea session.

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:44 am

Now for the exciting question of "What the hell are we gonna make?!". Let me answer a couple questions to get us going in the right direction:

• The Unreal engine is a 3D game engine so guess what? The game will be in 3D.
  • The game will involve the Order of the Unifying Force and will obviously then be placed in the TOR universe.
  • I hope to encompass many known member's characters into the storyline such as Jacan, Arashi, yours truly, etc.

The bigger question though is what do we make? A racing game, RPG, simulation, action & adventure, and so on. Is it FPS, third person, etc. Is it mature, cartoon-ish, etc.

Since this guild has some gifted writers it would be foolish not to include SOME kind of story.

Basically though the canvas is blank and whether I end up the only one working on this project ideas and concepts are welcome and needed. I know we have some talent out there and I know we have no lack of imagination in this group. At this point, nothing is too crazy so post away.

Back to top Go down

Game Project: Idea session. Empty Re: Game Project: Idea session.

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:45 am

Reserved for later.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:52 am

I'll start things off.

I was thinking a FPS where you are a struggling member of the galaxy who suddenly finds himself/herself in need of aid from a Sith attack. The OUF show up and save your life and offer you to join them. You then take on the role of a new member of the OUF and accompany a group of OUF military personnel on a routine mission. Of course, that routine mission goes horribly wrong and it is up to you to finish the mission all by your lonesome.

Perhaps the game can take on some simple RPG elements such as a basic level system where points can be distributed and powers/abilities can be unlocked/earned. This game can include appearances of members of the OUF and possibly even be voice acted by some of us.

Back to top Go down

Post  Beadle Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:58 am

Question: How long are you expecting the game to be?
When I heard the Unreal Tournament engine I linked it to that game and though of a attack/defense scenario around the OUF temple as a possible scenario. Reading this second post I think I'm way off your train of thought. Time for more thinking.
Beadle
Beadle

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:02 am

You're not way off at all. In fact your idea was the plot of the first tor game I attempted. It's a pretty cool idea, but it kind of lacks much room for a storyline. Basically it's get attacked by some pirates, fend them off, game over. Kind of bland. So if you can think of a cool way to mesh that idea together with an interesting back story then by all means go for it.

I guess a side goal for this game is to kind of use it to gain attention to our great guild and one way we can do that is by flexing our role play abilities and really delivering on a great story/plot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:22 am

I like it, and I think FPS is the way to go.

That's all my brain can manage right now...
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Halcyon Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Ilike the FPS idea... As far as concept writing is concerned, I'd like to extend my services.. Though, I may not be professional, I'm here if you need anything.

Also, I like where you were going. I think the whole commando thing would work out just fine. The only thing that concerns me is how would you implement lightsabers? Or would our living tribe just be NPCs that shovel out information? As far as voice acting is concerned, I think that would also be excellent! Were Gerard to show-up at any point (though, I wouldn't expect it too much) I'd feel.... Well, honored to finally give my character a voice! bur, I digress....
Gerard Halcyon
Gerard Halcyon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:17 pm

I thought about the lightsaber issue and I think that down the line if we can create an OK animation and model for them then great, but I don't want lightsaber combat seeing as how you do run into the issue of how to attack with them, etc. Right now it sounds pretty difficult and perhaps it's something we can add in much later. For the moment though I think whenever there is a lightsaber around it's going to be attached to a belt.

How will this work storywise? Well let's say after you were discovered by the OUF we discover you were force sensitive. This could be the reason why you don't have a lightsaber yet as it is too early in your training. This also could lead into an awesome part of the story where your powers are really weak but as you go through the game we could have a sith try and persuade you to join them or something, but in the end of the game you choose the philosophy of the OUF and you vanquish those fools.

Back to top Go down

Post  Reicho Seitoshi Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:41 am

Sounds like a great idea. If you need any help ask away.
Reicho Seitoshi
Reicho Seitoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Halcyon Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:36 pm

G.T., I like where you are going with this! Again, I'm here if you need anything! I'm behind you 100% with this idea!
Gerard Halcyon
Gerard Halcyon

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:06 am

I am in agreement with everyone. Everything sounds great to me. I will do what I can to help.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:11 am

I too am able to lend a hand with the plot and/or setting.
Tyren Vaal
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks for the vote of support everyone. Expect a more detailed list of things that will be needed in the next few weeks. Currently I am still learning the IDE, some Maya/3DS Max and Unreal Script so my plate is a bit full at the moment. I want to make sure this project is feasible before I ask everyone to pitch in.

Something that can't hurt though is to continue to evolve this game concept. We pretty much have a rough outline of what we want to the game to be, but it's time to really start digging in and getting a more defined general overview of the storyline going. This could include things as detailed as locations and those accompanying our hero on his/her first mission.

Anyone willing to write up their version of the general storyline (a page or so) would help tremendously in getting this project moving. Make a new thread with your storyline so that the rest of the community can give feedback and ask questions independently of other story lines.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mictian Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Interesting... I'll try writing up a storyline sooner or later XD and what about game programming... is it hard? I've always wanted to learn, haha
Mictian
Mictian

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:08 am

I currently know nothing about programming, but will taking programming next quarter. Though its only intro to programming.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:44 am

The Unreal Development Kit uses a language called UnrealScript which is an object oriented knock off of C++ and Java. Either one of those are easy enough to learn, but to program with the kit you will have to learn the UnrealScript work flow and syntax (which is what I'm doing currently).

Later I will post up some resources for anybody interested in programming, modeling, and so on so that whatever part anyone is interested in they can start learning. Right now the only thing I'm sure of is that we will be using the tools that come with the Unreal Development kit (all free), modeling programs like Maya and 3DS Max (or other free software packages for those who don't use or have those), and Photoshop or some other 2D imaging application for textures for those models. I'm in the process of learning all these applications so that I am familiar with all aspects of the project and so that I can get an understanding of what is and isn't "doable".

If you want to get ahead and start fiddling around with these apps then by all means please do. I should point out that almost any modeling program will work as long as they can be imported into the engine and the same goes for 2D applications that just about any will work.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mictian Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:15 am

Kewl, I shall await for them resources ^^ Knowledge good... Very Happy
Mictian
Mictian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:01 am

I've come to the conclusion that I we should just move forward in steps and instead of just trying to figure out what we might be using in the future that we adjust to our needs of the present, but still plan on meeting certain goals of the future. What that basically means is that right now we are in the conceptualizing and planning phase which means it is a bit tedious to be trying to figure out what animation software we will be using. I don't know and probably won't have a good idea of which until we are at that stage.

So, right now let's focus on the current tasks at hand. The current tools you will be needing is pencil and paper and any sketch pads you can get your hands on (preferably some graphing paper for future modeling purposes, but not entirely important). Then, pay attention to the ideas and concepts that people are posting (either here or on a soon to be created wiki) for ideas on what needs to be "created". You will need to create multiple views of your models including side, top, and front views and any other views you feel are important to get across any details you might have in your drawings. It's important to include multiple views of your design as this will be the template that people will be working off of in the future when it comes time to model it in 3D.

Right now I do not have any specific guidelines for submitting anything, but stay tuned for more information on that. If you finish something before that time then shoot me a PM.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down