Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Wars Books

+4
Tyrael Rahl
Jacan Na'al
Arashi Storm
Naidon
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Star Wars Books Empty Star Wars Books

Post  Naidon Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:34 am

I am waiting on my Kindle 2 and I have already ordered I think every Legacy of The Force book. I have only read a couple of other Star Wars books. I read a lot. This is about the only way I can get my Star Wars fix and I am a bit stir crazy waiting for the game to be realeased.

What books would you recommend?
Naidon

Back to top Go down

Star Wars Books Empty Re: Star Wars Books

Post  Arashi Storm Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:56 am

Well legacy of the force will take up a lot of time unless you are a fast reader. It's a great series. I also strongly recommend Republic Commando 3 book series. It starts with Hard Contact. I absolutely loved those books. Darth Maul shadow hunter was good and Yoda's dark rendezvous was great. I believe thats about all I have read. Oh and the Comic series is now out on the TOR site. Though its terribly short so far.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:13 am

I have never OWNED any of the star wars EU books, but I recently started changing that and got the first LotF book (Betrayal) I finished that pretty quick though and am now waiting for my lovely wife to plod on down to the bookstore during one of her lunchtimes to get the next one.

I know what happens in the series and several others from reading extensively online but that doesn't compare to the stories themselves. So much fun.

I plan to eventually have them all (I really want the 3 hard cover SW encylopdedia volumes but its roughly NZ$270 on mightyape.com which is too much considering we are moving this weekend (transfer costs for phone, power, internet, sky... endless moneysinking)
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Naidon Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:54 am

I have Jedi Twilight-Coruscant Nights 1 and Darth Bane-Rule of Two. Both are ok to read, but nothing great.

The Darth Bane book covers events right after he apparently killed every Sith and some Jedi during a battle on the planet between Sith and The Army of the Light. During the book he sets up what we see later of Master and apprentice. No more Sith Empire. Its no a bad book since it covers some interesting points of Star Wars lore. The book before this is Darth Bane-Path of Destruction so I would start there.

I will check out those books you recommended Arashi. I have heard the Darth Maul books were good.

I typically read series books. I read a 300 page book in about a day or two. I have two epic series fantasys book in hard back, but its expensive so I am trying the Kindle 2 e-book reader. I bought the LotF series for about $7 US each.
Naidon

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyrael Rahl Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:27 am

Probably my favorite Star Wars series to date is the Heir to the Empire trilogy. It takes place about 5 years after Return of the Jedi, and is where Grand Admiral Thrawn, the Emperor's former greatest Admiral (who was also a Chiss) takes control of the Imperial Remnant and launches a huge offensive against the New Republic. It introduces alot of characters to the SW Universe, including Gilad Pellaeon, Mara Jade, Talon Karde, and Vornskrs. Other than that series, I would also try the New Jedi Order series, the Rogue Squadron series, and the Hand of Thrawn duology.
Tyrael Rahl
Tyrael Rahl

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:49 pm

Hey Tryrael I finished the first book in the series and am now half way through dark force rising. It's great stuff so far. Thrawn is a military geneous. I'm such a slow reader though. Which I guess is good for my pocket book. I think I'm gonna try the Rogue Squadron series next. I really like Wedges character.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:50 pm

Oh and Naidon have you ever thought about trying the Republic Commando series? It's awesome
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyrael Rahl Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Oh i know, Thrawn is simply amazing. Military strategies through art, who would have thunk it?
Tyrael Rahl
Tyrael Rahl

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:24 am

I've been slacking in my SW lore. It's been about two years since I cracked a SW book. I am continuing where I left off though with the NJO series. Finishing traitor any day now when I find time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cuyir Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:18 am

The republic commando series, by Karen Traviss, is a must (it's up to four books now). One of the best and tells quite a bit about Mando culture, if that interests you at all. Anything by Zahn is good as well, he is a very good author also. Karpayshyn's(sp?) Bane series is also very good (Random trivia: he works for Bioware and is eventually transferring over to TOR). The Rogue/Wraith squadron books are also pretty good and the Jedi Academy series isn't too bad either.
Cuyir
Cuyir

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:25 am

Wow Cuyir you have read a lot. The Commando books were definitely awesome.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Naidon Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will get to them all eventually. I have just started reading the Legacy of the Force series today. I have read four non Star Wars books this month on my kindle so I am sure I will be able to read many of those. Reading a lot lately since I am only playing a browser game. Waiting on Dagon Age and TOR.
Naidon

Back to top Go down

Post  Cuyir Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:49 am

Arashi wrote:Wow Cuyir you have read a lot. The Commando books were definitely awesome.

I've probably read about 90% of the SW books out there, along with spending too much time on Wookiepedia. Been a while, though, so I still have to catch up on some of the newer novels.
Cuyir
Cuyir

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Sun May 17, 2009 7:21 pm

Cuyir wrote:
Arashi wrote:Wow Cuyir you have read a lot. The Commando books were definitely awesome.

I've probably read about 90% of the SW books out there, along with spending too much time on Wookiepedia. Been a while, though, so I still have to catch up on some of the newer novels.

lol u and me both, i just started on joiner king and are goin forward....already bought the rest of the series in advance
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Mon May 18, 2009 2:33 am

Awesome man.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Chilli Sun May 24, 2009 10:42 am

Havnt read a Star Wars novel in quite a while a buddy recommend The Thrawn Trilogy - Heir to the Empire etc. to me, anyone read these...? Looking for a second opinion before i spend the $20 lol
Chilli
Chilli

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Sun May 24, 2009 11:02 am

Chilli wrote:Havnt read a Star Wars novel in quite a while a buddy recommend The Thrawn Trilogy - Heir to the Empire etc. to me, anyone read these...? Looking for a second opinion before i spend the $20 lol

Yes the thrawn trilogy was probably the most action packed, most unexpected series of all the Star Wars books I have read yet. Its a very good read because you never know whats going to happen next when thrawn is behind the whole scheme.

Anybody else have a second doctors opinion for my patient here lol
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sun May 24, 2009 5:59 pm

Chilli wrote:Havnt read a Star Wars novel in quite a while a buddy recommend The Thrawn Trilogy - Heir to the Empire etc. to me, anyone read these...? Looking for a second opinion before i spend the $20 lol

I am on the last book of the series and have enjoyed them very much. Though if you haven't read many or any SW's books I would like to suggest the Legacy of the Force series.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sun May 24, 2009 6:03 pm

What other SW's books have you read Jeme?
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Sun May 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Arashi wrote:What other SW's books have you read Jeme?

well....I have read every single book in the series up to swarm war, and I am reading that book now. I have been reading these books since the fifth grade lol.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Mon May 25, 2009 1:09 am

well....I have read every single book in the series up to swarm war, and I am reading that book now. I have been reading these books since the fifth grade lol.

Every single book in what series exactly? The Thrawn series is only three books. I'll have to look up the swarm war. I'm not familiar with it. Have you read the Legacy of the Force or the Republic Commando series?
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Mon May 25, 2009 1:11 am

Oh and I noticed someone just wrote a book that comes after the Legacy of the Force series. I can't remember the name or the author. It said something about Luke getting banished by Daala I think her name is. It also mentioned Luke was gonna seek out all the places and things Jacan had learned from.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:20 am

Has anyone read the Champions of the Force series? I'm reading it now and really didn't have high expectations, but its turning out pretty good
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Cullis Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Check out Star Wars: Tales of the Bounty Hunters ('96) for some nice short stories by various authors focusing on the bounty hunters Dengar, IG88, Boba Fett, Bossk and Kuckuss/4-LOM.
Cullis
Cullis

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:09 pm

I'll have to check that out.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content