Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you reading?

+27
Bah'Rask
Rale Onsari
Eokurios
Illian Amerond
Romin Harth
Dragon
Fenix
Quinlan Sa'athis
ClaranceSH
Rygal Blaqk
Dessanar
Toranilor
Tyren Vaal
Gerard Halcyon
Jeme'Maer
Satarel Vao
Ruka
Rebel Marksman
Jacan Na'al
Jalen Lojed
Beadle
Udumbara
Arashi Storm
Bahn Durm
Jasterk Staren
Carlen Darko
Kevlar
31 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What are you reading? - Page 7 Empty Re: What are you reading?

Post  Jeme'Maer Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:05 am

hmm, im kind of in a rut for books, im almost done with all of the Dragonlance books, most of the starwars books, the cirque du freak, the demonata, and all of the lord of the rings(thats most of my bookshelf right there) Im looking for some new series' to read, does anyone have any ideas?
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:12 am

I've ideas, but it would depend on what you are into, I find that when it comes to books and novels, people can be pretty specific when it comes to the type of series they like.

Just for pure example, I rarely read ANYTHING that isn't part of a series totaling more then 3 novels.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenix Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:13 am

I don't know if you'd like it but you could try the Wheel of Time series? It's a 12 book series... well technically 15 books I guess the last book is 3 books... It's by Robert Jordan. Takes a long time to get through but it's pretty good.
Fenix
Fenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:17 am

sounds good actually, I really like long series' as long as it keeps the interest...my genre is basically anything....Im just trying to figure out what I like most....pretty hard when I think of it...my friends been giving me good books to read since the 3rd grade, and recently he just hasnt found that much.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:45 am

hmm, you should check out David Weber's Safehold series. It's pretty interesting and skirts the border between fantasy and sci-fi.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragon Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Jeme'Maer DON'T READ WHEEL OF TIME!!! it is the spawn of Satan!! Sorry for the caps but it makes me want to shout.
If you are a speed reader then go for it. Otherwise it is slow, self indulgent, lacks good characterisation (ie so many characters are almost the same, especially the women) and the novelist is dead and 3 more books are yet to be published by another author.
If you haven't read "the Magician" series by Raymond E Feist then that is an obvious recommendation, from your "read" list. The servant of the empire series he wrote with Janny Wurts is good too.
A complete departure from my usual reading style, I am reading "the girl with a Dragon Tatoo". I have been given 2 copies of it by in-laws (parents in law and sister in law). It is a swedish novel (they are swedish too). I think they really want me to read it.
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenix Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:59 am

Dragon wrote:Jeme'Maer DON'T READ WHEEL OF TIME!!! it is the spawn of Satan!! Sorry for the caps but it makes me want to shout.

... Well that's not very nice What are you reading? - Page 7 299723 although to be totally honest it does get pretty slow in places but always returns with something good.
Fenix
Fenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:33 am

Twelve books? And how many pages are they all anyway?
Tyren Vaal
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenix Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:37 am

they range from 700 to 1100
Fenix
Fenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragon Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:40 pm

Don't forget dead author with 3 books still to be written.
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenix Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:45 pm

I believe one of them has been written now, my brother has it but I still have to get around to borrowing it.
Fenix
Fenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:30 pm

What are you reading? - Page 7 N274690

I liked this one a little bit more then the previous novels, it didn't make me depressed =P haha so that's good, probably check out the latest in the series when I get my hand on it.

8.1/10
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:18 am

What are you reading? - Page 7 N339276

I love time travel/alternate history novels. =D This one is no different, can't wait for book 5 in the series.

8.9/10

Seperate note...

Out of books to read!!!

/Start panic
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:50 am

I have like five books I've had since Christmas I haven't read.
Tyren Vaal
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:52 am

I just picked up 1000 or so Sci/Fi ebooks Kev if you want them.
Lots of Star Wars and Star Trek.
Quinlan Sa'athis
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:09 am

What are you reading? - Page 7 N248673

Didn't realize but I had already read this, though I largely forgot it's plot. It was great to reread it, not usually to my taste, Still I found the plot well written. A tale of intrigue and plots.

Looking forward to hunting up book 2. I'm certain I haven't read that yet.

Right now though, I'm so FUCKING psyched because a book that I've been looking forward for a year or so to read just completely fell into my lap (I had forgotten about it and it looks so F*@$ing awesome.) If I suddenly received an invite to TOR beta, I'd probably wake up.

8.9/10
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Romin Harth Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:02 am

I've been on a used bookstore binge so I have picked up tons of books. Currently deciding which book to read first:

What are you reading? - Page 7 Slaughterhouse-five

or

What are you reading? - Page 7 N15861

Love me some Vonnegut and PKD.
Romin Harth
Romin Harth

Back to top Go down

Post  Illian Amerond Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:53 am

It is not sci-fi but it has been a great book for me, even so that I went and rented the movie they made as well. It is called Ip Man and is probably one of the greatest reads I have had for some time.

As far as my Fantusy I liked George R.R. Martins series A song of Fire and Ice. It was a well written sieries that had me hooked from book 1. I highly recomend both books.
Illian Amerond
Illian Amerond

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:17 pm

What are you reading? - Page 7 N241134

omg, so conflicted about this book, Kate Elliott has to be one of my favorite fantasy authors of all time. I loved her last series the crown of stars.

I was so psyched when I read the blurb of this book to find out that she was bringing back one of my favorite characters in the first book who was killed within the first few chapters. But while reading through it I was rather disappointed at the small part that the character took part in, even though she is probably one of the most important characters in the series to come.

The rest of the novel is pretty good, highly complex and full of depth. Though I'd warn the series is pretty dark and not for the faint hearted, the bad guys are really really bad. (IE going around conquering, killing, enslaving and raping women and children) and the good guys are not too much better.

9.1/10
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:50 pm

What are you reading? - Page 7 N328056

omfg! Changes alright! Has to be the most epic change to the pace and tone of the series ever. Most Epic battle ever with awesome conclusion! =D (Think lord of the rings Orc rush, but instead of some retards in armor and some gay elves, on the defender's side is like 12 Gandalfs.)

omfg!!!! Awesome plot developments, killing of annoying characters! Cliff hanger!

9.6/10

Once again out of things to read ='( Woe is Kev.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:12 pm

What are you reading? - Page 7 Masseffect_revelation

I love the games so much that I decided to give this a go. I'll review it when I'm done.

@Kev: Your not out of things to read. Remember back when I told you of the amazing sci-fi adventure that is "The Carpet Makers"...yeah...go read...like now.
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Eokurios Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:45 am

New Guy hear, just applied. I see a few fellow book lovers. Right now, I'm reading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, and it has been thoroughly enjoyable. I have read, in the past, all the Star Wars novels that have been published to date (including Fate of the Jedi: Allies), along with a LOT of other things: all of Raymond E. Feist's books, the Wheel of Time (by Robert Jordan, continued by Brandon Sanderson), all of David Eddings' books (terrible case of deus ex machina in his writing, but the dialogue humor is great), S.M. Stirling's novels of the Change (cannot recommend these enough), George R.R. Martin's Ice and Fire novels (amazing), and Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth novels (a bit pedantic at times, but the first three and last three are very good). I am a great Shannara fan (Terry Brooks), but I couldn't get into the Landover novels. I also enjoyed L.E. Modesitt Jr's Recluse, Corus, and Imager books. I have also read the staples: C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia and Tolkein's Lord of the Rings. I have a spattering of Science Fiction there as well, including all of Larry Niven's novels of Known Space, as well as his "Magic Goes Away" works, including both Burning City and Burning Tower. I have read most of Heinlein, Asimov, Philip K. Dick, and a bit of Greg Bear along with Vernor Vinge (this guy is GREAT!!) and Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld books. I mention all these things by way of recommendation. I am simply trying to share the things that I have enjoyed with other people.

There is, however, one author about which I cannot say enough good: Neal Stephenson. Pick up anything by this guy and read it. I especially recommend Snowcrash, the Diamond Age, and his great opus, Cryptonomicon. If you enjoy these, you should also look into his Baroque Cycle books (Quicksilver, the Confusion, and System of the World), as they are related to Cryptonomicon.

I also read a fairly heavy diet of Christian writings (theology and philosophy, not inspirational or fiction) for work, as I am a minister.

I do, as well, have a question: are the Dresden Files novels any good? I've had them recommended to me in the past, but I have never begun an attempt at reading them.
Eokurios
Eokurios

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:53 am

They are at times a frustration, bad things happen en mass to the main character Harry Dresden and nothing ever seems to go his way. All his silver linings are tarnished. But it's inspirational that he still remains the 'good' guy archetype despite all that.

At two or three words to describe it, I guess I would go with, Inspiring, Interesting and Depressing =P aha

Still, it's worth reading, definitely.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Eokurios Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:57 am

Thanks, I'll give them a shot when I finish Neverwhere.
Eokurios
Eokurios

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:54 pm

What are you reading? - Page 7 N288448

Wow, I don't even know what to class this series as. Fantasy? Sci-Fi? Grand Intrigue? Medieval Romance? I've no bloody clue... All I know is that it was surprisingly good, despite knowing that book one was excellent, I didn't really expect book 2 would be even better.

9.3/10
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum