Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Light Side or Dark Side? Is there common ground?

5 posters

Go down

Light Side or Dark Side? Is there common ground? Empty Light Side or Dark Side? Is there common ground?

Post  Rusic Terron Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:08 am

Is it really a matter of good vs. evil? Why or why not? If not what do you think it is a matter of and why?
Do you think a middle ground between the two is possible or even preferable?
Rusic Terron
Rusic Terron

Back to top Go down

Light Side or Dark Side? Is there common ground? Empty Re: Light Side or Dark Side? Is there common ground?

Post  Jacan Na'al Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:11 am

This thread has alot of discussion on the force if you care to join in there.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Light Side or Dark Side? Is there common ground? Empty Re: Light Side or Dark Side? Is there common ground?

Post  Rusic Terron Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:17 am

I apologies, I didn't know there was already a discussion going on about this topic. You can delete this one if you want :)
Rusic Terron
Rusic Terron

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:21 am

Its okay, it was on page 3 I think... I dug it up for you because its an interesting thread.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusic Terron Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:34 pm

Actually looking back on the Darth Traya topic, from what I gathered, the main argument is about the Jedi and there view of the force compared to our view.

Arashi made a interesting point here:

"If you allow yourself to see dark and light in the force than you will restrict your abilities. The sith and jedi have codes to train people to restrict themselves. Mind probing is a force technique used by both the sith and the jedi. Now how is it possible for both sects to use the same power? Simply because the jedi don't see it as "dark" if you use it for a good reason and the sith do not view its use as "light". Either way its use of the force."

Although I do not believe that seeing the force as Light and Dark restricts you're ability to understand it.
On the contrary, understanding that there are things that you should refrain from learning
(example: Heavy Sith spells like the one's in the Darth Bane books) and things that are crucial to your growth (Studying the midichlorians and why some are able to listen to them but others can't). It's not just are view of teachings that help us understand the Dark side and Light Side of the force but also are action's. Anakin Skywalker is a perfect example of how one can be considered good at one time and turn to evil deeds the next but even as Darth Vader he had a lot of trouble dealing with his action's, until the point where he just didn't care.

The point I'm trying to put across is that Light and Dark are just "aspects" of the Force which help us to make destinations and categorize are actions and how we live are life.
Rusic Terron
Rusic Terron

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:34 am

I'm sorry but I have disagree with you a little. Light and Dark can be aspects if you choose to see it that way, but the force is simply the force. Seeing light and dark restricts people because you restrict your use of the force when you feel that you can only use certain powers to do good or bad.

Now simply viewing light and dark as aspects of the force doesn't restrict you because you could choose to use both light and dark powers, but most people end up struggling because in the end they want to either be good or bad.

So a unifying force view does not restrict you. We here at the OUF choose to use the force to accomplish the greater good. So my point in asking you about your view of the force is to see where you stand. Are you with us in trying to achieve the greater good or are you on the other side of the fence?
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusic Terron Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:47 am

I guess your right in the way that if a Jedi Kill's someone with a force push, where as a Sith with Force choke, both end up killing the person. Also I'm with you about using the force for the greater good, I just do not see how many of the Dark side teachings (which mainly deal with death and destruction) can lead to a greater good.
Rusic Terron
Rusic Terron

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:00 am

Well there are not a lot of instances where you would find yourself using so called "dark side techniques" for the greater good, but they do exist. Simply, for example if you walk up on a village and find a Sith commando and his team killing innocent civilians. They are separated and you don't want the first commando to alarm his squad if you attack because you could be overwhelmed. As you approach the commando he turns around and you know he is about to alert his team. Here you could use a force choke to keep him from alerting his team which distracts him long enough to run your lightsaber through his heart. You finish off his team and save the rest of the village. The greater good was accomplished through the use of a so called "dark side power."
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusic Terron Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:17 am

It seems your mainly focusing on the waring aspect of the Force. Which is what the Dark Side teachings primarily focus on. This is not to say there is no use for these teachings, war is sometimes necessary, unfavorable but necessary. In the end I guess both side's have there place depending on the situation. I'm more curious to hear how "you" (meaning the community) feel about the force's more unethical uses.
Example: (I saw some talk of this in the guild history) erasing one's mind with the force, A clean slate if you will. Is this right even if the person was considered to be evil? I'm speaking of Revan of course :)
Rusic Terron
Rusic Terron

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Darth Terron wrote:Example: (I saw some talk of this in the guild history) erasing one's mind with the force, A clean slate if you will. Is this right even if the person was considered to be evil? I'm speaking of Revan of course :)

Considering that the Force can allow one to see the possible futures that stem from a particular action or persons existence then knowing that terrible things could occur as the result of a certain action or inaction then I would suggest it can be ethical in the greater scheme of things to do such an act as erasing someones mind - it is certainly not as unethical as outrightly killing the person when this other lifesaving option was available.

Also consider the case of some criminals in our society - not all admittedly but some at least - facing the death penalty or lesser consequences they feel genuine remorse for the actions led them to their current situation, do you think that if given the opportunity to erase the memories of those past actions and start fresh (and not being dead) that they would be grateful and perhaps volunteer to be wiped clean?
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Bahn Durm Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:45 pm

The Force is "split up" between Light and Dark because of moral use of the Force and the emotions behind those uses.
Force lightning, choke, drain are abilities that are used when drawing on a "negative" emotion like anger, fear, desperation, etc. The Jedi teach that using these types of powers are unacceptable because the emotions they're based on have you lose touch with your self-control and dwell on the power of those emotions. Eventually, these emotions overwhelm you because they grant you "power" and you want to hold on to these emotions. Sadly, these ideas of power are thought to be applied for the greater good. Most Sith are looking for power just to be powerful, while others become Sith because their view of the "good vs. evil" thing are confused. For example, Jacan Solo and Anakin Skywalker were thinking that taking this power would help them fix the galaxy and/or save the ones they loved. In turn, they actually devastated the ones they loved most and it cost the galaxy a great deal.

This is why the Jedi fight so hard to keep base emotions out of Force use, because they believe that "dark side" Force powers will lead to nothing but evil use of the Force. They want to be servants of the Force and therefore of the good that it has to offer.

This is where, I believe, we mediate. The powers exist, but draw on emotion. But I tend to think of our Force use like acting (yes, I'm a theater nerd, get over it, lol). When you are on stage or in an acting class the director/teacher generally tells you to "remember a time when you were sad/angry/happy/empty/etc" and draw on that for this situation. If you do it correctly you can have the audience believe that you are experiencing that emotion, but you're really not, you're just portraying the expressions of that emotion without feeling it (usually). Why couldn't the same be applied to the Force? Once you apply the memory of the emotion behind the power, instead of drawing on the emotion itself, then you should be able to have the power without any danger of a "dark" emotion as its base.

Yes, it's a dangerous thought to go through the emotions and hit the "dark" of yourself, but what great Jedi has not gone through the Trials and not felt the "dark" within? And if we are here to help each other achieve a strength in the Force that serves the Republic and the greater good of the people then we wouldn't let one of us "cross over to the darK" during their training with OUF.

If you want an example of a Jedi that did this, think of Revan. He used several "darK" abilities and he became the savior of the Republic. Plo Koon developed a form of Force Lightning that he called Force Judgment. It wasn't a white lightning, but was more of an orange tint. He told the Jedi Council (when they heard of it and brought him up on using a dark ability) about the use of the power he said that there was no emotion behind it, it was just straight Force ability and "judgment" from his natural Kel Dor instincts. They let him continue to use it, even though they held reservations on it.

All-in-all, using the Force is split between basking in the power of your emotions (the Dark side) and separating yourself from your emotions (the Light side). We stand in the middle (or I see it that way) of the argument and just bring forth the memory of an emotion to utilize a power without the danger of falling into the "power of an emotion" trap.

Well, after all that (if you were brave and bored enough to read all of it) I think I've stated my opinion of our "dark" and "light" approach to the Force.
Bahn Durm
Bahn Durm

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Halcyon Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:23 pm

Now, on a personal level, I agree with Bahn but, I disagree (only to a small extent cuz he put it so sweetly that I almost wanted to believe it was my view of the Force) with the idea that removing yourself from your emotions and calling on them as a MEMORY is the idea of keeping yourself in check.

I feel that being born with emotions, we must learn to UNDERSTAND them, not forget them. i.e. it's ok to love as long as you know WHY you'd fight for it. If love leads to anger and aggression, then know what it is that drives you that far! Sometimes, it's a good idea to hold-off on those emotions and store them for later use. Example, fighting a Sith who is almost too powerful for you to handle, it may be a good idea to feel that anger you felt when they killed your family. Once you've finished them off and brought justice help them and help yourself by finding your center and putting that feeling to rest.

Some confuse the ideas that the Jedi used. The Jedi had a twisted way of cutting off the flow of emotion in an attempt to live without it. They believe that if you felt emotion you were showing no self-control. This is true but, to feel noting is to be the Force. To be the Force, you must be one with it; i.e. DEAD.

As natural being of the universe we are born with emotion and must learn how to allow the emotions to HELP us rather than CONTROL us. Kill a thousand to save one equals a loss. Emotion or none. Kill one to save a thousand equals a win. Emotion or none. Emotions should not be cut-off or ignored but used to fuel your drive to complete the cycle of life.

Obviously, some may agree, some may disagree but all in all- there is only one thing we need to know and that is how our emotions can help or ruin us. Feel your emotion but don't let it control you.

((I may have left something out or not been clear on something so, questions, comments or concerns are welcome!))
Gerard Halcyon
Gerard Halcyon

Back to top Go down

Post  Bahn Durm Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:52 am

Gerard Halcyon wrote:Now, on a personal level, I agree with Bahn but, I disagree (only to a small extent cuz he put it so sweetly that I almost wanted to believe it was my view of the Force) with the idea that removing yourself from your emotions and calling on them as a MEMORY is the idea of keeping yourself in check.

When you say 'sweetly', do you mean "man that was sweet" or "aww, how sweet"?
lol

Now, I agree with you, Gerard, in terms of understanding an emotion. That's kind of what I mean when I say "drawing on the memory of the emotion to bring forth the power from said emotion". It's just that, as a clan of individuals that fight in between the teachings of the Jedi and the Sith, we have to find a way to utilize both ideals.

I just see it as if you draw on an emotion, you have opened up a 'dependence' on that emotion for that power. Therefore, you leave yourself open to drawing on more of your basic emotions for power, therefore, losing control of yourself. Certainly, you could utilize an emotion for strength and an ability's access, but you risk a great threat of becoming obsessed with that power.

And as a naturally emotional person myself, I definitely wouldn't suggest that you cut off your emotions. More like, having them but not having them rule you, as you stated. Like I said, remembering how you felt when certain power was achieved is safer than dwelling on the emotion that achieved it.

That's where the Jedi Order steps in and say "Love is a good emotion, but it inspires attachment therefore it is a selfish act. If you lose such an attachment jealousy, greed and anger will form and have you concerned with yourself and the power you may gain from those emotions." While this may be true, one could still train themselves to control their emotions as they would 'let go' of their emotions (as the Jedi Order would).
Honestly, I just think "Dark" and "Light" are going to always be things in debate, even amongst the Jedi Order. What they are and how they're viewed are never going to be a complete certainty, so... I guess that's just how I view it. hah
Bahn Durm
Bahn Durm

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Halcyon Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:21 am

When you say 'sweetly', do you mean "man that was sweet" or "aww, how sweet"?
lol

A little bit of both! XD

I see what you mean now. I, myself, am also quite emotional but I bask in the emotions cuz they remind me I'm still alive. I could easily just resort to some pills and become a zombie but that would also leave me weak and powerless to defend myself on certain views and opinions that make me an individual. Calling on the memory of an emotion (in retrospect) is pretty much the same thing I was getting at. I meant only that as long as the emotion is a positive one then only strength and determination can result. But, I do not feel the need to restrain myself if the one I love is taken from me. You cannot force another to love you but, if they are gone against their will, I will fight, kill, main, torture, burn, slice, behead and most certainly DESTROY anything and EVERYTHING between us until I know she is safe. ((I would harm no innocents but, I'd sure as hell burn the hair off of a Bounty Hunter (who shipped her across the galaxy) to get an answer...))

Selfish? Maybe. But, I'll be damned if someone is going to take my happiness and safe home away from me!

Sorry, I'm getting off topic. My main point is, as long as the emotion is a good one and used in a fair and just manner, then it is completely legit to call on it. The only difference really is if you are doing what you do for a complete and utter selfish reason, that would be classified as "Dark"... Most Def... But, yes, it will always be open for debate. It all really depends on what side of the fence you are on.
Gerard Halcyon
Gerard Halcyon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down