Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Light / Dark / Inquisitorius / -- I'm confused!

+6
Quinlan Sa'athis
Jeme'Maer
Arashi Storm
Toranilor
Jacan Na'al
Udumbara
10 posters

Go down

Light / Dark / Inquisitorius / -- I'm confused! Empty Light / Dark / Inquisitorius / -- I'm confused!

Post  Udumbara Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:29 am

I'm curious ... which is correct? I've seen both.

Are we both the light and the dark?

Or is there no light and no dark.

Or is there only no light and no dark for the Inquisitorius.
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Light / Dark / Inquisitorius / -- I'm confused! Empty Re: Light / Dark / Inquisitorius / -- I'm confused!

Post  Jacan Na'al Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:04 am

Inquisitorius is merely name of the intelligence branch/department of the guild (think CIA)

The Unifying Force theory is that there is no division of the Force to Light and Dark sides, therefore there is just one Force so it can be said it is both Light and Dark as well as being neither Light nor Dark, both equal a balance and therefore peace.

The theory also suggests that Good and Evil is simply within the person and his/her personal motivations and desires. So if you are a good person and able to maintain that goodness while using the full range of force powers then you would fit into the Unifying Force theory.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Light / Dark / Inquisitorius / -- I'm confused! Empty Re: Light / Dark / Inquisitorius / -- I'm confused!

Post  Toranilor Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:26 am

If you're confused about the motto,

"We are the light"

"We are the dark"

"We are the Order of the Unifying Force"

This is relating to the fact that we are what OTHERS percieve as the light and dark side of the force, whereas our philosophy is that there is no difference. Most of our forum sigs say something about it.

Perhaps it should be changed to

"There is no light"

"There is no dark"

"There is the Order of the Unifying Force"

To help with the confusion.
Toranilor
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:29 am

Both mean the same thing and are easily interchangeable.

"We are the..." sounds better than "There is no..." to me though lol.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:17 am

Jacan Na'al wrote:Inquisitorius is merely name of the intelligence branch/department of the guild (think CIA)

The Unifying Force theory is that there is no division of the Force to Light and Dark sides, therefore there is just one Force so it can be said it is both Light and Dark as well as being neither Light nor Dark, both equal a balance and therefore peace.

The theory also suggests that Good and Evil is simply within the person and his/her personal motivations and desires. So if you are a good person and able to maintain that goodness while using the full range of force powers then you would fit into the Unifying Force theory.

I understand the concept, and I know about the Inquisitorius. The reason I mentioned it is that Quinlan's sig says, "There is no ..." and others have "We are the ..."

And if I may humble myself to question our leader, I have to disagree that they mean the same thing. In fact, darkness is simply the absence of light ... it doesn't exist. Light is physical. Darkness is merely a name that we give to describe the absence of light.

However, if we are only using the term "light" to mean (and I know this is over-simplified) good deeds, and "dark" to exemplify bad deeds, then I feel we have to say "There is no" in order to convey the idea of harmony. If there was no good in the universe, then there would be no bad. And if there were no bad, there would be no good. To understand that the light can only exist with the dark, or that good can only exist when evil exists, is to know that there is no definate "light" or "dark," there is only the balance between the two. To say we are the light and we are the dark is, in my simple mind, to give credit that these ideas are independent of one another, which they are not. We are striving to understand that there is no division between the dark side and the light side ... that they don't exist independently ... that there is truly only one force, or one balance, therefore there is no light, there is no dark, there is only the force.

Am I rambling again?
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:44 am

You are not rambling at all. You actually bring up something we should probably decide on as a guild and stick to. That way we have uniformity and people on the outside will not be confused by us.

How does everyone else feel?
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:10 am

I believe that many interpret when they see the traditional

'We are the light"

"We are the dark"

"We are the Order of the Unifying Force"

They believe that we are of an order that accepts both the teachings of both orders.

Though in another saying that was just given light

"There is no light"

"There is no dark"

Implies that we are a seperate order bent on a whole new set of teachings, forsaking both paths, which like in our guilds history, would make both orders want to hunt down members of the OUF because of having neither affiliation.

This is what I interpreted when reading both sayings, I believe the latter is the better saying, though I agree that it can be worded differently.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:30 am

"There is no light"

"There is no dark"

This should actually read..

There is no light
There is no dark
There is only the unifying force
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Toranilor Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:42 am

Yes it should Arashi, but then it wouldnt have the OUF in it.
Toranilor
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:25 am

My thoughts match my sig, Udumbara has the right of the meaning I was trying to convey.
Quinlan Sa'athis
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Toranilor wrote:Yes it should Arashi, but then it wouldnt have the OUF in it.

No it doesn't but our guild name can be added underneath. For example Quins signature.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:04 pm

I've been thinking about this some more ... I can't seem to get it out of my head. At first I was all about there being no light, no dark, only the force in the sense that one can't exist without the other, but then I thought of something Siddharta said about Unity. Something like Unity can only exist in the binary because unity and the idea of unity are already two. In that sense we could be both the light and the dark. My head hurts now.
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:38 pm

You might be thinking too hard on this. I think its simply to us that there is no light side or dark side. There is only the force.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Master Nuuk Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:55 pm

Arashi wrote:You might be thinking too hard on this. I think its simply to us that there is no light side or dark side. There is only the force.

Light / Dark / Inquisitorius / -- I'm confused! Ying-y10
Master Nuuk
Master Nuuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeevenmac Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:04 pm

Well it is light and it is dark because it created both. How light would the light be if there wasn't dark to compare it to?
Skeevenmac
Skeevenmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:52 pm

very nice pic there.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Toranilor Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:00 pm

If you could somehow incorporate that picture into the OUF logo thing nuuk, we would have an insignia worthy of song. To go with our guild worthy of several operas.
Toranilor
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:44 pm

Toranilor wrote:If you could somehow incorporate that picture into the OUF logo thing nuuk, we would have an insignia worthy of song. To go with our guild worthy of several operas.

Editing the logo wouldn't be difficult, but we should probably get the okay from the elders ... we don't even know if they're interested in the yin-yang thing.
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:46 pm

Not really :)

The simplicity of the logo I like (not to mention my bias as its creator)

Is there still confusion about the aspect of Light and Dark in relation to the Unifying Force?
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:32 pm

never was in my case, there is no light or dark side of the force, it just is, the force cares not about the subjective views of the beings whom it encompasses.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:04 pm

No confusion, just interpretation. I apologize for starting a whole philosophical discussion about the whole thing, and then introducing the yin-yang idea. We're just playing a game, and our niche is that we swing both ways when it comes to force.

Wait for it ... wait for it ...
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Oh, my misunderstanding then for thinking we needed to clarify our explanations in some official manner.

It will probably be done anyway but it takes the pressure off.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Bahn Durm Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:21 am

Personally, I like to believe that there always will be a Light and Dark.
I find my personal stake in the OUF to be that I fight for the Light but never had a place to practice my ideals on the Light by the Jedi Order or the by the Republic. So, I practice the "Dark" powers to accomplish the defending of Right, or the Light.

Outside of personal opinion...
Light has no Dark. Dark is the absence of Light. Therefore, they are opposites. But if you think of them as polar opposites rather than as just the base terms of "dark mean no light at all, so even the darkest gray is still light" then you can understand that it's the idea of Light and Dark.
Light = Hope
Dark = No Hope
Jedi defend the Light to keep peace and hope alive, while the Sith embrace the Dark to take away freedom and hope. Just like light keeps away the dark and the dark is always seen (figuratively) as "swallowing" the light.
Basically, it's one giant metaphor. Metaphors shouldn't be thought about too much, they make the brain hurt if that's the case, because literacy gets in the way of poetic-verse.
Bahn Durm
Bahn Durm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down