Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Wars and SW:TOR Game Questions

+4
Skeevenmac
Tyren Vaal
Arashi Storm
Udumbara
8 posters

Go down

Star Wars and SW:TOR Game Questions Empty Star Wars and SW:TOR Game Questions

Post  Udumbara Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:58 pm

I know little of Star Wars. After watching episode 1 again, I have some questions.

They say those midoclorians (I have no idea how to spell it) are what allow the jedi to hear the will of the force. What exactly IS the force? How can the force be used in different ways if it has a will? If the force has two-sides to it, does it then also have two different wills? I understand nothing of this.

Also--what is the point of blasters? Padme uses a small, 4" silver blaster that does the same damage as 2' rifles. The ONLY time I see any difference in blaster power is when it comes from a ship. I don't understand this.

Last edited by Udumbara on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Star Wars and SW:TOR Game Questions Empty Re: Star Wars and SW:TOR Game Questions

Post  Arashi Storm Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:10 pm

If I had more time I would answer both, but for now I will give my take on the blasters. The smaller blaster does not have as much power as a rifle. Normally pistol size blasters are able to shot more shots per minute than a rifle. But simply they are not as powerful.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Star Wars and SW:TOR Game Questions Empty Re: Star Wars and SW:TOR Game Questions

Post  Tyren Vaal Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Midichlorians are what makes you feel and touch upon the force (like you said), the force isn't magic, or mystical or something certain people have, it's the life force of every living thing in the galaxy, in the original trilogies it's made to be more mystical, the second trilogy sort of added more of a scientific aspect to it.

It's a passive thing, think of it like an ocean, if you're strong enough you can push it away. And if you're thinking of limitation, then it's up to the physical ability and mentality of the user which like shows what limit and extent you can use it. You also need to practice at a young age to take control of it, so even if you have more midichlorians and can conceiving of the force than a Jedi Master they can still beat you because they've obviously had more training.

Hey, I even learned a bit about the force myself....

I think to be with the idea of the OUF, the Jedi sort of gave the names "evil" and "light" and exiled those who they branded as evil. In the end they are all just two different groups of people with The Force using it and trying to be on the top and gain domination, Although I might be thinking on the Potentium side of things.....the force sees and perceives everything, it has always been, and uh well, I had better stop rambling before I make even less sense.

And the blaster thing, I seriously don't know.
Edit: As for the blaster thing, well some blasters have different ammo sizing's, speeds and all that, I'm pretty sure the smaller blaster does less impact and damage, but I'm still not quite sure.
Tyren Vaal
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm sorry I have so many questions ...

What's the point of the midichlorians? They live in a symbiotic relationship with all living creatures (even plants?), but they are not the force ... however, they are what allow us to hear the will of the force? I'm not following those things. And I still don't understand ... if the force has a will, why does it matter how it's used ... whether it's for good or evil, they're still following the will of the force ... aren't they?

Also--What do they mean when they say Anikin is supposed to bring balance to the force? Is the force out of balance? The way I see it, there are way more jedi than sith, so wouldn't they know that he's going to wipe out jedi's to make things even?

And if KOTOR is set 3000 years before all of this, why hasn't the technology changed AT ALL? Seems strange ...

With the blasters ... it must just be poor movie-making, because the little thingie padme fires does the same damage as the large assault rifles the droids have.
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Maybe the blaster has some sort of Ion energy in it? Probably not....but I don't know.
I'm still not quite sure about the force myself, there are things I still keep tripping up on, a lot of the original trilogy stuff and EU is a little bit different, and they have to keep retconning things.
Technology can only really go so far, I'd say the technology changed a little.....the Death Star is suppose to be even stronger than the Starforge, and the Starforge was made by the Force. Colonization is much more bigger, more ships and firepower, and Droids are a lot more smarter and well equipped. G0-T0 for example is suppose to be a very highly intelligent droid for his time, yet he seems pretty outdated compared to the ones in the movies.

What type of technology do you think could be better...?
And about the balancing of the force, don't you ever think that there was maybe too much Jedi? The force works in mysterious ways though, so no body is too clear on what exactly was suppose to be balanced. Like whether Luke was the chosen one or for whatever reason.
Tyren Vaal
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:36 pm

I appreciate the help ... I guess the force isn't strong enough in me :) Just doesn't seem to make sense.
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeevenmac Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:15 pm

As far as the "will" of the force think of a salmon swimming to a spawning pool. It can definately go with the stream of the river and make things easy but it can still make changes to the course and divert the flow some. We can do the same thing with the force. Now, at this point, we throw in some free will. This is where we can swim across the stream, up the stream, or follow down the stream. There is no accounting for the "human" factor.

As far as Anakin bringing balance to the force I think that Yoda was right when he said they may have misread the prophecy. Most Jedi took it to believe that he would destroy the Sith. I still think that he was supposed to balance the light and the dark. I think Yoda suspected this in Episode 1 and was confirmed early in Episode 3 and that he let Mace know about it too.
Skeevenmac
Skeevenmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 am

The most accepted view is the force is like a river, it moves along at a pre-determined pace with a direction in mind, there are currents in the river that move in different that make it seem like the force has a will of its own forcing you down its path but the simple fact is it is stuck to its path more than you are.

Kriea took this one step further and ascribed a sentience to the force that she actively worked against (in her mind) to destroy it utterly.

The Jedi follow the currents wherever they take them, they do not fight against it. The Sith however are in a constant struggle up-river believing this will help them gain power.

Like the Jedi we flow with the current when it suits as and like the Sith we struggle against it when it doesn't. This use of the force opens us up to all aspects equally and allows us to learn from either "side"

Midicholroeans are as they say microscopic life forms, they are our link to the force as they are to every living being. The force can be described as life force, the force of billions of beings existing and going about their daily lives, some people have the ability to manipulate and use that power in this universe, its so very alien to our way of thinking that more of a explanation I believe is not possible.

The prophecy may or may not have referred to Anakin, in this we do not know, but he certainly balanced out the Jedi and Sith. In the end two of each were left, Obi-wan and Yoda vs Sidious and Vader. The Jedi had no had a credible "dark side" threat for years before these events (that they knew of openly) they had started to stagnate and like all military/religious organizations, stagnation is corruption and eventually the downfall of the group.
Quinlan Sa'athis
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeevenmac Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:23 am

I'm not sure if stagnation is corruption but it definately dirties the pool.
Skeevenmac
Skeevenmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:23 am

I appreciate the help guys. I'm still going through the movies, but I'm curious ... is there ever any mention of religion in Star Wars? Is the force akin to some type of diety?
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:29 am

no. They never mention any religion whatsoever in star wars, exept the force, though I do not think that is even a religion either.

The closest I have heard of religion is the blowing mountain that the ewoks worship.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:48 am

G0-T0 mentions religion and it does fit when you think about it
KotOR 2

"I just want the infighting between these two religious factions to cease"
Quinlan Sa'athis
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:57 am

Interesting. I found an amazing article about the Force ... it even mentions the Unifying Force.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force

Thanks again for the help!
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:45 am

After reading about The Unifying Force, the Potentium, and other things ... I'm curious how all of this will work in-game.

Do we know yet if the game will allow characters to use both sides of the force? If we choose allegience to the galactic republic, what if those characters are only able to do "light" side force powers? Will everything our guild believes in be purely for role-playing? And if the game does allow us to use both powers, it would obviously have to keep some kind of balance, which would mean we wouldn't be able to use to most powerful "light" side powers, or the most powerful "dark" side powers.

I just really wish I could get a good grasp on everything ... I'm starting to understand all of the Star Wars stuff more, but now I'm wondering how it can be applied to this game.
Udumbara
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:07 am

I can't really answer all your questions, but I know for a fact that a like to KOTOR 1 and 2, all Jedi or Sith classes can use cross Force abilities, IE a Sith can heal, a Jedi can do force lightning and force choke etc.

The question that I would like to find out is if they are keeping the whole, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma system. And if so, is there still cross force power penalties.
When I played KOTOR 2 I always rolled my character with high wisdom and maxed Charisma, because in KOTOR Charisma reduced the penalties of using dark side powers when you are light side.

If you read some of the stuff from the TOR website, they have said that picking republic or Sith does not automatically equate you to light and dark, (ie, Republic =/ Light, Sith =/ Dark)

You can be a dark Jedi, or a Lightside Sith.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:10 am

Kevlar wrote:If you read some of the stuff from the TOR website, they have said that picking republic or Sith does not automatically equate you to light and dark, (ie, Republic =/ Light, Sith =/ Dark)

You can be a dark Jedi, or a Lightside Sith.

I come to the same conclusion but do not decieve myself by putting my whole faith in it.

If the game hinders our RP ideology at its core then we will discuss as a guild whether we care or not and if we do what steps we would like to take as a guild to remedy the situation.

I hope it doesnt come to that but we will always be a family not matter what TOR throws at us.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down