Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OD Thread (Open Discussion)

+20
No'Saj Rol'Yat
Bahn Durm
Mictian
Satarel Vao
Rygal Blaqk
Latiel
Benson
Toranilor
Jasterk Staren
Udumbara
Mardon Ag'dor
Tyren Vaal
Jalen Lojed
Arashi Storm
Jacan Na'al
Carlen Darko
Beadle
Rebel Marksman
Quinlan Sa'athis
Kevlar
24 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

OD Thread (Open Discussion) Empty OD Thread (Open Discussion)

Post  Kevlar Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:29 am

So I was visiting some other forums and I realised that the OUF forums lacked a true open discussion thread.

Sure you are free to open up any thread topic you like and have the conversation there, but there wasn't really any thread where the conversation might wander or morph into something else.

So seeing how we are lacking a chat client atm like our old IRC channel, I figured I might as well open a thread where we can have a continuous discussion about anything.

Now I realized that unlike giant forums, we don't really have enough active members at any given time to make the conversation flow continuously, but it would still be interesting to see where topics go over time.

Before we start however, I'd like a lay down a couple of guide lines, just to make sure this thread doesn't turn into a flaming pile.

- Try to stay coherent. If you don't make sense and can't explain your comments and/or people cannot read what you have written, they cannot respond.

- Try to stay away from inflammatory subjects, these include but are not limited to, Religion and Politics (I think those are the two big ones). If the topic starts to veer towards those topics, change the topic.

- Try not to take any opinions or comments to seriously, just treat everything any one says on this thread as a joke or a jest. (ie, try not to take offense at anyone else) We are after all, all guildmates.

Thats it!
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

OD Thread (Open Discussion) Empty Re: OD Thread (Open Discussion)

Post  Kevlar Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:32 am

Now, I'll start the initial ball rolling.

It occurs to me the previous day, what would blueprints be called if it wasn't blue?

Surely not all blueprints are blue. If that is true, then why name them blueprints?

Dum dum pointed out to me that they wouldn't name it blackprints, because that would apparently be racist, though I think he was joking.

All I'm saying is that surely words have some kind of meaning and are not just abstract mechanisms to communicate loose ideas. Surely the process of naming something should take into account on how accurate the words associated with the object are?
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:50 am

History

The blueprint process is essentially the cyanotype process developed by the British astronomer John Herschel in 1842.[1] The photosensitive compound, a solution of ferric ammonium citrate and potassium ferricyanide, is coated onto paper. Areas of the compound exposed to strong light are converted to insoluble blue ferric ferrocyanide, or Prussian blue. The soluble chemicals are washed off with water leaving a light-stable print.
A similar process was used to produce printing proofs for offset printing.
Various base materials have been used for blueprints. Paper was a common choice; for more durable prints linen was sometimes used, but with time, the linen prints would shrink slightly. To combat this problem, printing on imitation vellum and, later, polyester film (Mylar) was implemented.

Use

For almost a century blueprint was the only low cost process available for copying drawings. Once invented, no technical development was required; the process was put to widespread use immediately, notably in shipbuilding and the manufacture of railway locomotives and rolling stock. The coated material ready for use has a shelf life of two days. Industrial areas would often have many independent suppliers that made blueprint coated materials to order and provided a copying service. The typical practice was to have a wooden frame with a spring-loaded back, similar to a picture frame with a glass front. The drawing would be traced in India ink on tracing paper or tracing cloth. Indoors, the coated paper and tracing would be loaded into the frame which was then brought out to sunlight. Exposure time varied from less than a minute to about an hour (under an overcast sky). The operator could see the blue image appear through the tracing. When ready the frame was brought indoors. The material was washed in running water to remove the unexposed coating, then dried. It gave a clearly legible copy of the drawing with a white line on dark blue background. This copy possessed unlimited resistance to light and resistance to water that was as good as the substrate. The diazo document copying process progressively took over from blueprint during the period 1935 to 1950.
Quinlan Sa'athis
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:04 am

ah, ok.

That makes sense actually, thanks quin. But now you've killed the topic =( haha.

What's next? Some one have a suggestion?
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebel Marksman Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:13 am

This is something that i think about when i get bored, If you could make a color that look like no other color what would it look like and how would you describe it. ( I know its immposible but i still think about it)
Rebel Marksman
Rebel Marksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:21 am

Rebel marksman wrote:This is something that i think about when i get bored, If you could make a color that look like no other color what would it look like and how would you describe it. ( I know its immposible but i still think about it)

I've had the precise same thought, except this was when I was thinking about the novel I'm writing and to an extension to Alicia's RP and short stories.

The idea is not only color, but what if you could see a spectrum that is beyond normal human range, (because colors are just a spectrum of visible light,) there are neighboring spectrums. Like Ultra-Violet and Infrared.

Imagine if you could 'see' UV and Infrared. Remember they are not only a color we cannot imagine, but it also doesn't behave like visible light.

And I'm not talking about like nightvision goggles or infrared cameras, because that is only UV and heat translated into visible light, I'm saying seeing it in its native form.

I suppose however its a bit like asking a deaf man what music sounds like.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Beadle Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm sure they'd say it sounds fantastic.
This reminds me of the movie Ratatouille where they are 'seeing' taste or at least imagining accompanying colours. I liked that part. So does anyone like cooking? I enjoy baking and my friends all like the cookies (although that's not all I make)
Beadle
Beadle

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebel Marksman Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:00 pm

I like eating what other people cook does that count.
Rebel Marksman
Rebel Marksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:29 am

I enjoy cooking! =) Mostly I enjoy eating, so by extension cooking.

On another note, Merry Christmas OUF =D

Its xmas today with BBQ and coke at the beach for me today! Have a great one folks!
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebel Marksman Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:34 am

It's Christmas eve here (in the states) and its snowing IN TEXAS, that is rare it only happens once every 2 years and its on Christmas eve which hasn't happened in like 20 years. Anyway Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, New years, Kwanzaa, and what ever else i missed.
Rebel Marksman
Rebel Marksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:59 am

Here's a random thought. Lost-Jedi has already had more differing avatars than I have posts. Geez... Smile
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:24 am

COOKING.

I love cooking, and baking but especially baking.

I am not a very good cook yet but I am a superb baker, time will improve on that balance.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:55 am

Jacan Na'al wrote:COOKING.

I am not a very good cook yet but I am a superb baker, time will improve on that balance.

I am known for my Italian cooking. I love me some pasta.
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:31 am

Jacan Na'al wrote:COOKING.

Luckily I burned eggs and caused the smoke detector to go off the first time my wife asked me to cook breakfast. I never cooked growing up and I went straight into the military after high school so I have never had to cook for myself and my wife is a wonderful cook so I choose not to learn. I should learn though.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Another random thought: My avatar can dance and yours can't.
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebel Marksman Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:46 pm

Mine does to you just have to pick up your monitor and shack it, but only on Tuesdays and it has to be raining at a temp. Of 32 degrees. And you have to be outside.
Rebel Marksman
Rebel Marksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jalen Lojed Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:25 pm

Carlen Darko wrote:Here's a random thought. Lost-Jedi has already had more differing avatars than I have posts. Geez... Smile

Old one was generic but the new one really says Lost-Jedi don't ya think.

My avatars name represents how I feel about myself when I played Galixies. It also touches on how I didn't fit in withthe light side or dark side persona. I guess I'll have to change my name some time since now I found a home here.
What was the inspiration from everyone elses name?
Jalen Lojed
Jalen Lojed

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:58 am

Well, the current dancing stormtrooper was simply for fun.
I usually use a avatar with Carlen's photo in it (like the kick-a one Kevlar made me) because, well, that is Carlen.
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:07 am

Carlen Darko wrote:Well, the current dancing stormtrooper was simply for fun.
I usually use a avatar with Carlen's photo in it (like the kick-a one Kevlar made me) because, well, that is Carlen.

love the dancing storm strooper!
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:40 pm

lost-jedi wrote:What was the inspiration from everyone elses name?

Kevlar is simply a gaming alias I used for a while now, back in the days when I was more into FPS's (back when Counter-Strike was new, aka la 1.4-1.5 day)

Still play FPS occasionally, but more of a strategy or nostalgia gamer now (old classics, exile, daggerfall, xcom1, doom, command & conquer 1)

But the name Kevlar just stuck I guess.

For those who don't know, Kevlar is a synthetic cloth like material with extremely high tensile strength, often used for apparel or material that needs a high impact or wear threshold. Aka protective clothing (biking outfits), body armor (Vests and helmets).
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:07 pm

Jacan is derived from Jacen and just sounds cool, I started using Jacan for Guild Wars where I was a Monk/Mesmer healer called Brother Jacan. I adapted the name to fit star wars by adding the Na'al which I found through an extensive search of little known Star Wars characters (Voren Na'al) and I initially used it in single player SW games that required a profile and TOR will be the first online SW game I will use it for.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Tyren Vaal was a name I thought up on the spot when I use to do Star Wars Forum Roleplaying on a site called Habbo Hotel...so now it's a really common alias I use if my real name isn't available I'll use Tyren instead.
Tyren Vaal
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:02 am

Tyren Vaal wrote:Tyren Vaal was a name I thought up on the spot when I use to do Star Wars Forum Roleplaying on a site called Habbo Hotel...so now it's a really common alias I use if my real name isn't available I'll use Tyren instead.

Sometimes I hear you say, you've got to goto 'work' and I'm convinced that you are probably mid-20's early 30's.

Then I hear you say you play Habbo Hotel, then I realize you weren't kidding when you said you were 12 =P hah.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:47 am

Kevlar wrote:
Tyren Vaal wrote:Tyren Vaal was a name I thought up on the spot when I use to do Star Wars Forum Roleplaying on a site called Habbo Hotel...so now it's a really common alias I use if my real name isn't available I'll use Tyren instead.

Sometimes I hear you say, you've got to goto 'work' and I'm convinced that you are probably mid-20's early 30's.

Then I hear you say you play Habbo Hotel, then I realize you weren't kidding when you said you were 12 =P hah.

I'm 13 now, so it's been two years since I've used that horrible website.
Dual Sith
Tyren Vaal
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Mardon Ag'dor Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Tyren Vaal wrote:
Kevlar wrote:

I'm 13 now, so it's been two years since I've used that horrible website.
Dual Sith

o.O?
Mardon Ag'dor
Mardon Ag'dor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next