Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SWTOR's environmental issues. Idea that may help find a balance.

+3
Reicho Seitoshi
Jacan Na'al
Jeme'Maer
7 posters

Go down

SWTOR's environmental issues.  Idea that may help find a balance. Empty SWTOR's environmental issues. Idea that may help find a balance.

Post  Jeme'Maer Thu May 28, 2009 12:52 am

It looks like SWTOR's environment will be more closed, rather than open, but that is just what I have seen from the vids that they have posted. What I mean, is that Bioware's history has been that of having all the areas they make closed off like in KOTOR where you had to travel to certain points where you would have the ability to move to the next area in the game.

I would rather have a mix of the two environments. Where it can be large and fun to explore, with nooks and crannies filled with mysteries. But it must also have boundaries such as mountains, lakes, and oceans because if there is too much environment it can seem very overwhelming and probably discourage you from going anywhere but the straight line. The same can be said for space, where you can fly around as much as you want for a time then after a certain boundary is crossed you either go into hyperspace (for the ships capable of doing so) or turn back since you only have the fuel that allows you to stay in the area around the planet.

This mix would have a great impact on the game allowing freedom to roam for the players, but not having too much to where it would feel overwhelming for the person traveling from one area to another.

So what does everyone here think about this suggestion. Constructive criticism is appreciated.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

SWTOR's environmental issues.  Idea that may help find a balance. Empty Re: SWTOR's environmental issues. Idea that may help find a balance.

Post  Jacan Na'al Thu May 28, 2009 1:29 am

I would personally prefer a system much like what you mentioned.

None of us want to be restricted to a linear path but if you leave the worlds too open you end up with endless deserts which amounts to wasted space.

LotRO had a good mix in my opinion using (as you suggested) mountains and other natural barriers (but mostly mountains) to divide the world into sections and prevent unnecessary wasted space.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

SWTOR's environmental issues.  Idea that may help find a balance. Empty Re: SWTOR's environmental issues. Idea that may help find a balance.

Post  Jeme'Maer Thu May 28, 2009 1:35 am

Jacan Na'al wrote:I would personally prefer a system much like what you mentioned.

None of us want to be restricted to a linear path but if you leave the worlds too open you end up with endless deserts which amounts to wasted space.

LotRO had a good mix in my opinion using (as you suggested) mountains and other natural barriers (but mostly mountains) to divide the world into sections and prevent unnecessary wasted space.

Exactly. I have never played LOTRO before but when playing wow I had a small taste of how it was meant to be really open, but had mountains and such to keep it from being too open. The problem though is that WOW areas are usually a wasteland anyways. lol
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Reicho Seitoshi Thu May 28, 2009 2:02 am

I agree with what you said about the boundaries needed to be placed because I have also gotten a good taste of it in things like WoW and LotRO. It helps people instead of having so much room that it is hard for people to cope with and they just end up aimlessly wandering around for a few hours trying to find places. But in space I think there should still be a broad area of things you can explore such as things like asteroid belts or even have the ability to make things like guild halls or small cities on asteroids so they can be hidden away from the rest of the galaxy.
Reicho Seitoshi
Reicho Seitoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Thu May 28, 2009 2:51 am

Reicho Seitoshi wrote:I agree with what you said about the boundaries needed to be placed because I have also gotten a good taste of it in things like WoW and LotRO. It helps people instead of having so much room that it is hard for people to cope with and they just end up aimlessly wandering around for a few hours trying to find places. But in space I think there should still be a broad area of things you can explore such as things like asteroid belts or even have the ability to make things like guild halls or small cities on asteroids so they can be hidden away from the rest of the galaxy.

True that is agreeable, having a guild hall on an asteroid has been one of my favourite fantasies when creating a guild. First of all if there is guild fighting all you would have to do is have lots of people in your guild be good at space combat and you are protected. And second it allows you to possibly mine for minerals, equaling a good trade economy since people would set up to strip the asteroid of its resources and sell them for a good profit. I do overall agree with space exploration I just have no idea how it could be created since space is so vast.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Toranilor Thu May 28, 2009 3:17 am

I like your idea for restricting land with natural barriers. Bioware HAS done that before, the uncharted planets in Mass Effect, so i hope it wont be too much of a leap of faith for them to do something in line with your idea.

In regards to limiting space travel however, I do believe there should be two systems in place, both quite similar to your idea. There could be single system flight, where you can explore one solar region in-depth. As you reach the boundary, as you said we should either be presented with a "Fuel not sufficient" or "Engine not powerful enough" message, and the option to go into hyperspace. There could also be extra solar flight, like in PotBS. There they solved the boundary problem by making everything so far away that no-one would want to go find the boundary of the map. It could take a good hour to get to the other side of the map safely. As for total galactic restriction, I believe that at the boundary you should be presented with a "Your computer cannot calculate a safe route any further, turn back". If you continue to press onward, Sith Empire ships could blast you to smithereens!

Hmm... maybe the boundaries could be a lawless starship PvP area...
Toranilor
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 28, 2009 4:04 am

I've actually been playing a lot of Fallout 3 lately again. This time I've been using the cheat codes to make it easier to explore and do things since I never did it while playing legit. The vast openness of fallout 3 was kind of intimidating. I pretty much went straight for the quests and finished the game in a day or so. Wasn't any fun. Now I'm discovering all kinds of things that I wish I would have discovered the first time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Thu May 28, 2009 4:05 am

Toranilor wrote:I like your idea for restricting land with natural barriers. Bioware HAS done that before, the uncharted planets in Mass Effect, so i hope it wont be too much of a leap of faith for them to do something in line with your idea.

In regards to limiting space travel however, I do believe there should be two systems in place, both quite similar to your idea. There could be single system flight, where you can explore one solar region in-depth. As you reach the boundary, as you said we should either be presented with a "Fuel not sufficient" or "Engine not powerful enough" message, and the option to go into hyperspace. There could also be extra solar flight, like in PotBS. There they solved the boundary problem by making everything so far away that no-one would want to go find the boundary of the map. It could take a good hour to get to the other side of the map safely. As for total galactic restriction, I believe that at the boundary you should be presented with a "Your computer cannot calculate a safe route any further, turn back". If you continue to press onward, Sith Empire ships could blast you to smithereens!

Hmm... maybe the boundaries could be a lawless starship PvP area...

All very great suggestions for space travel and the restrictions that can be used..very creative ones that I might add. Who knows you might just be able to be free roaming and chart your own hyperdrive routes.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Thu May 28, 2009 4:08 am

Garr Talon wrote:I've actually been playing a lot of Fallout 3 lately again. This time I've been using the cheat codes to make it easier to explore and do things since I never did it while playing legit. The vast openness of fallout 3 was kind of intimidating. I pretty much went straight for the quests and finished the game in a day or so. Wasn't any fun. Now I'm discovering all kinds of things that I wish I would have discovered the first time.

I know it was kind of like oblivion in area ( i still havent really explored all of fallout). But exploring Fallout always had its rewards kind of like where I found a bunch of people worshipping a man with a tree growing out of his head. I never know what secret missions I can ever find in that game. Now that is probably a really good pro for having a vast world to wander around in.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Thu May 28, 2009 4:27 am

The only thing I really have to add is I hope they don't restrict it too much. So far I think it looks pretty restricting. I guess we shall see. If they wanted to restrict some worlds and then have some others more open for either housing or exploration.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Satarel Vao Thu May 28, 2009 4:47 am

Jeme'Maer wrote:
Garr Talon wrote:I've actually been playing a lot of Fallout 3 lately again. This time I've been using the cheat codes to make it easier to explore and do things since I never did it while playing legit. The vast openness of fallout 3 was kind of intimidating. I pretty much went straight for the quests and finished the game in a day or so. Wasn't any fun. Now I'm discovering all kinds of things that I wish I would have discovered the first time.

I know it was kind of like oblivion in area ( i still havent really explored all of fallout). But exploring Fallout always had its rewards kind of like where I found a bunch of people worshipping a man with a tree growing out of his head. I never know what secret missions I can ever find in that game. Now that is probably a really good pro for having a vast world to wander around in.

Yeees, the tree worshippers! Harold was the man haha.. so far the only reoccuring character from the series I can think of. That little sprout on his head finally ended up owning him. Good times.
Satarel Vao
Satarel Vao

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Thu May 28, 2009 5:10 am

Satarel Vao wrote:
Jeme'Maer wrote:

Yeees, the tree worshippers! Harold was the man haha.. so far the only reoccuring character from the series I can think of. That little sprout on his head finally ended up owning him. Good times.

hehe I set him on fire
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Thu May 28, 2009 5:11 am

Arashi wrote:The only thing I really have to add is I hope they don't restrict it too much. So far I think it looks pretty restricting. I guess we shall see. If they wanted to restrict some worlds and then have some others more open for either housing or exploration.

well they could restrict the starter worlds like Tython and Korriban so that people can get off their starter planets once they get the chance to.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Benson Thu May 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Harold is da bom,
" I call him Bob, because it pisses him of, his name is actually Herbert" a tree getting mad?? awesome

Harold is the only one appearing in all 3 fallout games.
I dont calculate tactics in, because that game was less interesting....

And dont forget the alliens, wich made an appearance in all games.. including tactics...

on topic:

I agree with the natural boundries story. although it should be big. dont want to feel like corridor running with 30 jedi's while being outside....
Benson
Benson

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Thu May 28, 2009 10:30 pm

Benson wrote:Harold is da bom,
" I call him Bob, because it pisses him of, his name is actually Herbert" a tree getting mad?? awesome

And dont forget the alliens, wich made an appearance in all games.. including tactics...

on topic:

I agree with the natural boundries story. although it should be big. dont want to feel like corridor running with 30 jedi's while being outside....

trust me if it were to be corridor running you would be hearing "spartans..tonight we dine in hell" out of every few people people going along there.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Toranilor Fri May 29, 2009 10:16 am

Jeme'Maer wrote:

on topic:

trust me if it were to be corridor running you would be hearing "spartans..tonight we dine in hell" out of every few people people going along there.

Heh, at my school's cross country race we all do a "Sparta" speech before the 300-or so participants leave. It livens things up a bit.
Toranilor
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Fri May 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Toranilor wrote:
Jeme'Maer wrote:

on topic:

Heh, at my school's cross country race we all do a "Sparta" speech before the 300-or so participants leave. It livens things up a bit.

Yeah one of our rival football teams does the same. They are named the Spartans so we always cheer them on to say the speech when they run out of their giant spartan helmet.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Satarel Vao Fri May 29, 2009 11:38 pm

Don't even get me going on 300.. there are so many intense quotes and good choice of dialogue in that movie. David Wenham has such a great narrating voice it makes everything that much better.
Satarel Vao
Satarel Vao

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down