Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Light Sabers are comming soon!

+7
Benson
Kevlar
Rygal Blaqk
Tyren Vaal
Jasterk Staren
Jeme'Maer
Illian Amerond
11 posters

Go down

Light Sabers are comming soon! Empty Light Sabers are comming soon!

Post  Illian Amerond Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:08 am

With the advancement of micro laser technology we are approaching the critical threshold of our dreams of owning a saber of light! http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2010/06/16/lightsaber-becomes-deadly-reality/ I am still trying to explain why 300 bucks dissapeared from my bank account to my wife... she is rather mad >.<
Illian Amerond
Illian Amerond

Back to top Go down

Light Sabers are comming soon! Empty Re: Light Sabers are comming soon!

Post  Jeme'Maer Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:12 am

wow....If I am on a plane and I start seeing that shining through the clouds and at the plane....Im comin for you!
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasterk Staren Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:20 am

Thats kinda scary but awesome! Now they just have to find a way to bend light and make it come back around into its self like a real lightsaber.
Jasterk Staren
Jasterk Staren

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:27 am

I heard about that, in the wrongs hands though it can be very dangerous and can blind people and hurt people pretty badly, I'm surprised they are selling that sort of stuff.
Tyren Vaal
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Illian Amerond Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 am

I could just imageon the tatical application of someting like this... torture... I mean intelligence gathering and I could cut glass at 2 feet! I am looking for miorrs to place around my property so it looks like I have a lazer fence to keep the neighbors happy ^.^
Illian Amerond
Illian Amerond

Back to top Go down

Post  Rygal Blaqk Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Jasterk Staren wrote:Thats kinda scary but awesome! Now they just have to find a way to bend light and make it come back around into its self like a real lightsaber.

that made me giggle a bit.
Rygal Blaqk
Rygal Blaqk

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:17 pm

it doesn't take that much to damage the human eye to be honest, yes a beam with that short wave length is particularly dangerous, but I find it's claims of blowing up vehicles and shooting down planes to be utterly ludicrous.

The amount of power required to detonate a vehicle, (I assume by heating it's fuel tank till combustion temp) would be insanely high. Even the Laser system they have on the back of those Humvee's built to shoot down missile require a 30 second or so dead lock on a missile to heat it up hot enough to explode the solid state fuel within the missile. And trust me, Hydrogen is ALOT more combustible then petroleum.

As for shooting down planes, I won't even start.
It reminds me of the stupid shit that they tell you how electronics can interfere with the navigational systems. Utterly retarded and told to clueless rubes.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Benson Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Hmm a couple of years ago I read an article on a Japanese research station.

Doing research on safe fireworks and they where the researches that made it possible to end a laserbeam on a fictional spot.
Explanation: a laserbeam never ends as it is light, but they found a solution.

They use this to develop the same fireworks we see now but then with lasers.
This atleast made lightsabers plausible.

more on topic: a real lightsaber would be a bad idea for me.... I think its safer for me to create some fireworkbombs with a 1 inch fuse.
Benson
Benson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:51 pm

It's my understanding that a lightsaber works not by bending light back to itself, but by using emitters to create a field that traps the energy beam created by the lens within the field.

The differences between emitters effects the characteristics of the saber (how well a saber deflects, how well it sticks to other saber fields when dueling etc etc.
The lens effects how well the blade it self is formed and the crystal effects the energy's characteristics as well as the passive qualities to it.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenix Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Did anyone else see that documentary Sci-Fi Science, the guy designed a plausible saber. (I cut off light because it used plasma or some such instead of lasers) It was pretty good. Although not quite a true lightsaber still awesome
Fenix
Fenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Mictian Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:20 pm

Naise (Y)
Mictian
Mictian

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasterk Staren Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:59 am

I always heard that the field caused the energy to pass around and back into the hilt which is how the lightsabers power source last so long and by increasing or decreasing the length of the field thats how to change the blade length.

EDIT: I just read up on it and apparently Kev is right, but it seems retarded to me because if the plasma energy just travels up it would gather and explode and the power source would run out rather quickly, but w/e lol.
Jasterk Staren
Jasterk Staren

Back to top Go down

Post  Gatho Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Kevlar wrote:it doesn't take that much to damage the human eye to be honest, yes a beam with that short wave length is particularly dangerous, but I find it's claims of blowing up vehicles and shooting down planes to be utterly ludicrous.

Well I wouldn't recommend buying one, a Swedish newspaper writes that it supposedly "generates a thousand times more Watt than a common red laser pointer (which generates about 0,001 Watt), and that it can give immediate permanent blindness and set fire to skin and other body parts."

Whether it's true or not, I'd say use with caution :P
Gatho
Gatho

Back to top Go down

Post  Rghis Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:13 am

Light Sabers are comming soon! 409189 Light Sabers are comming soon! 409189 Light Sabers are comming soon! 409189 Light Sabers are comming soon! 409189 Light Sabers are comming soon! 409189

..........wow
Rghis
Rghis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:21 am

Gatho wrote:Well I wouldn't recommend buying one, a Swedish newspaper writes that it supposedly "generates a thousand times more Watt than a common red laser pointer (which generates about 0,001 Watt), and that it can give immediate permanent blindness and set fire to skin and other body parts."

Whether it's true or not, I'd say use with caution :P

I can still imagine the idiot who is going to attempt tattoo work with that thing, burning the image of someone on his back.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Rghis Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:23 am

You should mail that to the next generation Jackass cast. their decisions on what happens to who is to painful to mention... Light Sabers are comming soon! 409189
Rghis
Rghis

Back to top Go down

Post  Illian Amerond Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:43 am

So there are three technologies that make this whole concept realistic.
1. Superconducting matireals and thier magnetic fields
2. High powered laser systems in hand held devices
3. High frequency laser constructs (crystals) that project high heat (plazma) beams made especially for cutting.

The major principals of a light saber are that it produces a beam of light that cuts allmost any object possible, that these principals give the 'blade' physical properties (not allowing blades to pass through eachother) and that they collapse and extend without damaging stuff (safety).

So any one who knows the basic principals of lasers, they are basically accellerated particles that bounce back and forth in a reflective cilinder with a tiny outliet for highly charged light that forms at the center... (<>)----------*

Therefore the intensity of the beam is limited to the type of gas in the chamber (for the production of charged particles for light) the type of reflective surfaces (to bounce these particles off of while you create your beam, and the substrate opacity/clarity when you allow the beam to pass through and discharge as a light beam. Science has come leaps and bounds in laser technology and shatterd thresholds only dreamed of 20 years ago. (hence the beginning of this post)

Yet little to no research is being done to bend, or capture lights potential (outside solar research) because there is no practicle science or research in related fields. So I was fumbeling around with a physics student who was suspending this superconducting matireal over another superconducting magnet and he could levitate it up and down a few feet. I was like cool but can you do that sideways... I mean pusing someting up and down is nice but could you open or close a door... So we spent about 30 minutes setting this thing up sideways and voila it worked! The damn thing was captured in some kind of magnetic field thingy up to about 19 inches before gravity took over and it slumped to the floor in a gradual arc... but it supprised us both. Not a new science by the way, just an old application not used in years.

So why all the hype Illian? one might ask. Well lets say you can capture and extend a small bead of superconducting matireal from a pommel held in your hand... which by the way is about the shape and size of a standard lightsaber (a super conducting magnetic field control unit), and you use that bead of superconducting matireal to capture the light and re-direct it back into the lazer chamber like an extended reflector after the origional one... (<>)---------@

This capturing would do 2 things. First it would capture the lost energy from the origional lazer cell, reducing the need for energy to excite the gas to sustain the laser; Second it would begin to create a highly charged shaft of light up and untill the limits of the super conducting matireals threshold....

Well that is all for my rambelings. If my friend and I make a sick ass weapon of death out of this stuff we will put it on You Tube, and even if we dont we will put our epic failure on there as well >.<
Illian Amerond
Illian Amerond

Back to top Go down

Post  Rghis Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:49 am

either way i would want a copy as your... ummmmm... best frie... unknown buddy??? hehe... please give me one. Very Happy
Rghis
Rghis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down