Archived OUF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRII: Round I Entries

+4
Jacan Na'al
Mictian
Kevlar
Carlen Darko
8 posters

Go down

BRII: Round I Entries Empty BRII: Round I Entries

Post  Carlen Darko Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:31 am

Judges, please submit to me via PM your choices by no later than this Wednesday (February 10th).

Everyone else, feel free to support your fellow members and comment here as they are working very hard to make this an enjoyable and competitive Royale.

---

BR II ROUND I

Alicia De'Lories (Kevlar)
Spoiler:
vs.

Jeme'Maer
Spoiler:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacan Na'al

Spoiler:
vs.

Gerard Halcyon
Spoiler:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bahn Durm
Spoiler:
vs.

Quinlan Sa'athis
Spoiler:

Jasterk Staren
Spoiler:
vs.

Benson
Spoiler:

Last edited by Carlen Darko on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

BRII: Round I Entries Empty Re: BRII: Round I Entries

Post  Kevlar Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:18 pm

That's awesme! Haha, I've been waiting a while to read everyone's short stories, its great over all, those of you who submitted them atleast =P

But after reading all of that, I feel as if mine is a tad bit too long... hahaha =S

and a tad bit too violent and dark.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Mictian Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Firstly... I am... -very sad-... Them people who didn't submit them entries should be banned from the next royale or something >:c But meh, they must have had a good reason, so I can't really say ~

I hope that the bad paragraphing was a html error, or maybe my screen was just too small, or something like that XD Anywho, I like to see the battle royale as a way to improve ones self, and therefore, I shall proceed with teh critiques o.o

For starters, it'll help if you gave your story a quick read after completing it, a grammar check of sorts. Always assume that your participant is flawless, and hold yourself against that standard. Spelling and grammatical errors tend to spoil a perfectly epic story. Secondly, description is important, especially in fight scenes which are meant to be dramatic and whatnot. I'm not sure about the other judges, but I find the ability to envision myself within a scene very fulfilling. Don't worry about story length, for a nice long story which manages to capture the essence of the scenario / plot would always go down well in my books. That being said, long stories would also require the vigilance of the writer to ward against the evils of bad grammar and petty mistakes. Other than that, just try and keep in mind that the actual 'battle' should be the main focus of your story, and that a 'battle' should have more... feeling... >.<

The 'reminders' above are meant for everyone, seeing as I didn't think it necessary to point fingers. Just keep em in mind the next round, or if you don't make it, then the next battle royale. All in all, just let your creativity flow, and I'm sure something nice will come of it <:
Mictian
Mictian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:46 am

I really liked Gerad's, Bahn's, and Benson's. Very clear, concise and that red text really gives it character. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:47 am

The paragraph/formatting is a problem with copy+pasting on these forums, one usually has to go back through and reformat after pasting.

Which Carlen can still do if he finds the time.
Jacan Na'al
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:18 am

crap, I had brackets to seperate the different views of my story to make it more understandable.....oh well.
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:28 am

....Kevlar......u win...you just win and it puts my story to shame....next battle royale im sure il be ready...especially after seeing what you have, its a perfect example of a good story along with Quins and Jasterks.....and you killed me in such a blaze of glory !_! (claps)....I feel really really crappy about mine lol
Jeme'Maer
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:08 am

Sorry about the paragraph formatting everyone. I had a short amount of time to work on this thread last night to get it on time. I'll do my best to fix the issue today.
Carlen Darko
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:15 am

Mictian wrote:Firstly... I am... -very sad-... Them people who didn't submit them entries should be banned from the next royale or something >:c But meh, they must have had a good reason, so I can't really say ~

I hope that the bad paragraphing was a html error, or maybe my screen was just too small, or something like that XD Anywho, I like to see the battle royale as a way to improve ones self, and therefore, I shall proceed with teh critiques o.o

For starters, it'll help if you gave your story a quick read after completing it, a grammar check of sorts. Always assume that your participant is flawless, and hold yourself against that standard. Spelling and grammatical errors tend to spoil a perfectly epic story. Secondly, description is important, especially in fight scenes which are meant to be dramatic and whatnot. I'm not sure about the other judges, but I find the ability to envision myself within a scene very fulfilling. Don't worry about story length, for a nice long story which manages to capture the essence of the scenario / plot would always go down well in my books. That being said, long stories would also require the vigilance of the writer to ward against the evils of bad grammar and petty mistakes. Other than that, just try and keep in mind that the actual 'battle' should be the main focus of your story, and that a 'battle' should have more... feeling... >.<

The 'reminders' above are meant for everyone, seeing as I didn't think it necessary to point fingers. Just keep em in mind the next round, or if you don't make it, then the next battle royale. All in all, just let your creativity flow, and I'm sure something nice will come of it <:

Well said Mictian.

All in all, I think everyone who submitted an entry did great and those who didn't, well, I assume you had a good reason.

Also, I kind of deliberately left then ending so that everyone would assume the Jeme was killed... but was he?! Dun dun DUN!~
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:13 am

@ Mictian - Well said Champion!

@ Jeme - I must say I really enjoyed your story and I think you are being too hard on yourself. Just take some of the things Mictian said and apply it in the future. But I liked the overall. I think you should have just spent a little more time on it.

@ Kevlar - I was definitely waiting for you to say something about Jeme's fate.

@ All participants - I enjoyed everyone's stories very much. It's too bad not everyone was able to submit, but it sure made my job easier hah. I think we will see a 100% submission rate in the next round.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am

Mictian wrote:and that a 'battle' should have more... feeling... >.<

Haha, I assume that was pointed at me...

I'd like to say that I deliberately wrote Alicia's portion as very cold, methodical and calculating. It is my concept of Alicia that especially in a chaotic combat situation, she operates/thinks more like a highly advance assassin droid then a flesh and blood being.

So I try to write her in this clinical and mechanical tone.

I tried to write Jeme's part more about feelings, instincts, teachings and power of the force.

If it seem to lack feeling on Jeme's section, then I apologize. But if it seemed to lack feeling on Alicia's part, that was the point.
Kevlar
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:05 am

Kevlar wrote:
Mictian wrote:and that a 'battle' should have more... feeling... >.<

Haha, I assume that was pointed at me...

I'd like to say that I deliberately wrote Alicia's portion as very cold, methodical and calculating. It is my concept of Alicia that especially in a chaotic combat situation, she operates/thinks more like a highly advance assassin droid then a flesh and blood being.

So I try to write her in this clinical and mechanical tone.

I tried to write Jeme's part more about feelings, instincts, teachings and power of the force.

If it seem to lack feeling on Jeme's section, then I apologize. But if it seemed to lack feeling on Alicia's part, that was the point.

I would say it was more likely directed at me, my "battle" was perhaps too subtle looking back at it.
Quinlan Sa'athis
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mictian Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:19 am

One should remember that 'feeling' doesn't always translate to raw human emotion. In fact, lack of emotion, if portrayed well, gives the 'feel' of impersonality, detachment, etc. It creates opportunities for unexpected reactions, intrigue, and occasionally, comic relief, among others >.< 'Feeling' revolves around the ability to invoke emotions within the reader, which can only be done if the reader is first able to envision himself in the scenario, or picture the scene perfectly in his mind. Sight, smell, sound, touch, emotion, mixed with good descriptions are epic. Still, it might be too much to ask, seeing as I myself didn't manage to pull it off <.< But it's a nice idea to keep in mind <:

Kudos to all you people, thingy, yea XD I can't wait for round two :3
Mictian
Mictian

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurora Antares Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Mictian wrote:Firstly... I am... -very sad-... Them people who didn't submit them entries...

I think you mean "those people" and "their entries" on the topic of grammar (in the rest of your post you make mention to it) - so sorry, can't help myself, I am somewhat of a dictator Smile

On another note, I'm just starting to read the stories, props to all involved, so far it shows that all who entered put a lot of thought into it, and its a very interesting concept.
Aurora Antares
Aurora Antares

Back to top Go down

Post  Mictian Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:38 pm

I prefer using lolcat / l33t speak to maintain joviality or to emphasise an overall lack of seriousness. Surely a dictator such as yourself would be knowledgeable enough to recognise obvious informalities, no? o.o
Mictian
Mictian

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurora Antares Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:50 pm

No idea what lolcat/l33t speak is, but I understand being jovial and mildly ironic, so carry on. The dictator shall allow it Wink
Aurora Antares
Aurora Antares

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:26 pm

Please refer to Article II Section B if you are unsure of the forum posting guidelines.
Arashi Storm
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:19 am

The winners are declared:

Alicia De'Lories (Kevlar) vs. Jeme'Maer

Jacan Na'al vs. Gerard Halcyon

Bahn Durm vs. Quinlan Sa'athis

Jasterk Staren vs. Benson

-----
Battle Royale II - Round II topic opened